Who We Are
Podchaser is the world’s most comprehensive podcast database — collecting, enriching, and distributing podcast insights to power discovery for listeners, podcasters, and brands.
We are searching for a PHP Developer to build and maintain new features as well as learn and support our existing codebase. You can work from anywhere in the world.
You will be responsible for learning and maintaining the main codebase: bug fixes, test coverage, reducing technical debt, and extending existing features, as well as heading up the development of new features on our roadmap in 2021.
You should have the ability to comprehend and work within a pre-existing codebase without needing to refactor out all existing technical debt – that is always the eventual goal but you will need to be able to prioritize based on business needs.
To succeed in this position, you should have the capability of creating and maintaining features, writing unit and integration tests, and the ability to debug and fix bugs. If you are detail-oriented, with excellent organizational skills, we’d like to hear from you.
We welcome applicants from a variety of backgrounds and perspectives, as we believe a diverse team leads to diverse ideas and solutions!
- Design, implement, test, and maintain new features.
- Adding new features and documentation to our GraphQL API, ensuring authorization requirements are maintained.
- Refactoring/redesigning aspects of existing features to be more efficient.
- Writing new Elasticsearch queries.
- Fixing bugs which includes everything from database optimizations to plain old typos, and writing regression tests to cover the fixes.
- Working with frontend developers to provide data in the necessary API responses
You Are Perfect for This Role if You Have…
- At least 4 years of experience developing modern PHP web applications (Laravel experience a plus).
- Experience with Elasticsearch or other Lucene-based inverted indexes.
- Experience writing code to consume various third-party APIs.
- Experience maintaining a REST or GraphQL API for external use.
- Clear and detailed communication skills. Experience with distributed teams is a plus.
- Skilled with a step debugger – you will be doing a lot of bug hunting through an (initially) unfamiliar codebase, so the quicker you can discover the root of an issue the better.
- Experience with unit testing, integration testing, continuous integration, and deployment.
- At least a passing familiarity with container-based deployment via Docker, ECS, Kubernetes, or similar.
- You are self-motivated, which means you handle your own time. This is a remote-only role, so it’s especially important that you are able to understand when a task is blocked by a colleague so you can use your time effectively elsewhere.
Apply on Indeed.com