Senior Full Stack Developer
Podchaser is searching for a Full Stack Engineer to build and maintain new features as well as learn and support our existing code base. The role will be 90% backend development, but knowledge of frontend technologies will be a major plus.
You will be an early member of a growing team of engineers as we scale up after our latest round of funding so your role may specialize over time as everybody finds their place. Initially, you will be responsible for learning and maintaining the main codebase: bug fixes, test coverage, reducing technical debt and extending existing features, as well as heading up the development of new features on our roadmap in 2021.
You should have the ability to comprehend and work within a pre-existing codebase without needing to refactor out all existing technical debt – that is always the eventual goal but you will need to be able to prioritize based on business needs.
We are an entirely distributed team and as such a lot of our communication happens asynchronously – you will be expected to provide daily updates of your progress via tools like Slack, Asana and Gitlab, as well as attend a weekly virtual standup via video call.
This is a 100% remote position, our engineers can live and work anywhere in the world, though there will be a requirement of at least some overlapping work hours with Melbourne, Australia (GMT+10).
We welcome applicants from a variety of backgrounds and perspectives, as we believe a diverse team leads to diverse ideas and solutions!
- Working with the CTO and other developers to design, implement, test and maintain new features.
- Adding new features and documentation to our GraphQL API, ensuring authorization requirements are maintained.
- Refactoring/redesigning aspects of existing features to be more efficient
- Fixing bugs that run the gamut from database optimization to plain old typos, and writing regression tests to cover the fixes.
- Resolving user issues in a second-level support role.
- Working with frontend developers to provide data in the necessary API responses
Skills & Requirements
- At least 4 years experience developing modern PHP web applications (Laravel experience a plus).
- Experience with Elasticsearch or other Lucene-based inverted index.
- Experience writing code to consume various third party APIs.
- Experience maintaining a REST or GraphQL API for external use.
- Clear and detailed communication skills. Experience with distributed teams is a plus.
- Skilled with a step debugger – you will be doing a lot of bug hunting through an (initially) unfamiliar codebase, so the quicker you can discover the root of an issue the better.
- Experience with unit testing, integration testing, continuous integration, and deployment.
- At least a passing familiarity with container based deployment via Docker, ECS, Kubernetes or similar.
- You can earn our trust by sharing your thoughts and making commitments, and you’re willing to trust your teammates to do the same.
- You see your work all the way through to the end.
- You can debate with empathy.
- You are self-motivated, which means you handle your own time. This is a remote-only role, so it’s especially important that you are able to understand when a task is blocked by a colleague so you can use your time effectively elsewhere.
- You are not afraid to try new things, and you’re enthusiastic about helping others learn and grow.
- You are pragmatic and can balance “textbook correctness” against practical reality.
- You can keep your eye on the goal, while communicating early and often throughout a sprint.
What is Podchaser?
Podchaser is the world’s most comprehensive podcast database — collecting, enriching, and distributing podcast insights to power discovery for listeners, podcasters, and brands.
If you think you’re the right person for the job, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your resumé.