This article breaks down industry-standard podcast advertising rates across ad types, how costs vary across shows, and how to verify pricing.
Want access to podcast reach, demographics, contact information, and more? Sign up for Podchaser Pro to unlock the most valuable podcasting insights in the industry. It’s perfect for supercharging any podcast ad campaign. Learn more.
Table of Contents
Podcasting’s Projected Ad Revenue in 2021 and Beyond
According to the Internet Advertising Bureau, the podcasting industry experienced a 19% increase in advertising revenue in 2020 with no signs of slowing in 2021. The same study showed significant milestones expected for podcasting.
- $1b projected ad revenue in 2021
- $2b projected ad revenue by 2023
Average Podcast Advertising Rates in 2021
Updated: September 14th, 2021.
The following represents the average CPM rates for standard, host-read pre-roll, mid-roll, and post-roll ads. Note that CPM, “cost per mille,” in this instance refers to the ad cost per 1,000 listens.
Podcast Pre-roll Ad CPM
- The average 15-25 second pre-roll ad spot will have a $15 CPM.
- It’ll cost approximately $1,500 to purchase a pre-roll ad on a podcast that generates 100,000 listens.
Podcast Mid-roll Ad CPM
- The average 30-60 second mid-roll ad spot will have a $30 CPM.
- It’ll cost approximately $3,000 to purchase a pre-roll ad on a podcast that generates 100,000 listens.
Podcast Post-roll Ad CPM
- The average 15-25 second post-roll (also known as an “end-roll”) ad spot will have a $10 CPM.
- It’ll cost approximately $1,000 to purchase a pre-roll ad on a podcast that generates 100,000 listens.
Variables in Podcast Advertising Rates
Several variables may alter the cost of a specific ad spot. Here are the most common reasons why a podcast ad rate may be more or less than the average advertising rate.
- Podcast Popularity (listens, social influence, Power Score™, etc)
- Ad length
- Host-read vs. traditional ads vs. additional opportunities
- Number of purchased ad spots
- Campaign length
- Podcaster’s discretion
Getting a Podcast’s Reach and Contact Information
Even with defined averages, ad costs vary from podcast to podcast, and tracking down relevant data and contact information for a direct quote can be a headache. So, skip the hassle of continuous research and try Podchaser Pro to quickly see a podcast’s reach, ad inventory, and pricing!
Our service gives you access to podcasting’s most valuable insights, including reach, demographics, chart position, verified contact information, and much more–giving you the power to make the right decision everytime. Forbes called it “an incredibly useful tool for podcast marketing or booking guests.”
Click here to learn more about Podchaser Pro
Read More About Podcast Advertising and PR