It’s great when you coin a phrase that really resonates with people, right? Until they start using it for businesses and ventures that are at odds with the meaning of it… Aminatou Sow and Ann Friedman, hosts of the podcast Call Your Girlfriend and authors of the new book Big Friendship, talk about what their term Shine Theory really means and what they had to do to keep it that way.
Find out more about this episode at theallusionist.org/shinetheory.
The Allusionist is a proud member of Radiotopia from PRX, a collective of the finest independent podcasts. Find them all at radiotopia.fm. And - it’s Radiotopia’s annual survey! If you’ve got a moment to tell us your feelings about podcasts in general and ours more specifically, head to survey.prx.org/ALLUSIONIST. Your responses are anonymous and none the information you tell us is given to Evilcorp, but it IS is hugely useful for figuring out how to make our shows to your liking. Thanks in advance!
The Allusionist's online home is theallusionist.org. Stay in touch at twitter.com/allusionistshow, facebook.com/allusionistshow and instagram.com/allusionistshow.
This month, the Allusionist is sponsored by:
• BetterHelp online licensed professional counselling. Get started today at betterhelp.com/allusionist and receive a 10% discount off your first month with the discount code ALLUSIONIST.
• Bombas socks, thoughtfully engineered for comfort and durability - and for every pair of socks you buy, Bombas donates a pair to someone in need. Get twenty percent off your first purchase at Bombas.com/allusionist.
• Mejuri, ethically sourced fine jewelry for everyday wear, without the markups. Visit mejuri.com/allusionist for 10% off your first order.
• Catan, the fun collaborative boardgame where you settle, build and trade on the island of Catan. Allusionist listeners get 10% off the original base game Catan at catanshop.com/allusionist by using the promo code ALLUSIONIST at checkout.
• Molekule, air purification reinvented. For 10% off your first air purifier order, visit molekule.com and at checkout enter the code allusionist10.
• Squarespace, your one-stop shop for creating and running a good-looking and well-working website. Go to squarespace.com/allusion for a free trial, and use the code ALLUSION to get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
• Progressive. See your insurance options and start a quote online at progressive.com.
Authors, podcasters and longtime friends Ann Friedman and Aminatou Sow on friendship therapists, awkward spa weekends and why the word "bestie" just doesn't cut it.
You can watch the video of this live conversation here, thanks to our friends at The Greene Space. And don't miss the first conversation in this series, featuring writer Michael Arceneaux. You can watch it here or listen to it here.
To find out about the next conversation in our "Books We Love" series, and to get more recommendations from the Death, Sex & Money team, subscribe to our newsletter.
All relationships have a backstory, even friendships. Best friends Aminatou Sow and Ann Friedman, hosts of the podcast Call Your Girlfriend, are out with a new book called Big Friendship: How We Keep Each Other Close. In it, they write about their friendship story and they share lessons for all of us about how to keep our own friendships strong. Sam chats with them about going to friend therapy and what it's like to have a deep friendship with someone of a different race.Follow us: https://twitter.com/NPRItsBeenAMin Email us: email@example.com
Aminatou and Ann are the co-hosts of the podcast Call Your Girlfriend, co-authors of the book Big Friendship, and long-distance best friends. Their podcast made their friendship public, but behind the scenes, their geographic distance turned into emotional distance, and they realized had to find a way to re-connect.
You can find their podcast at callyourgirlfriend.com, find their book at bigfriendship.com, and find them on Twitter and Instagram at @aminatou and @annfriedman.