Today I am speaking with David Barrett, the founder and CEO of Expensify. He's an all around alpha geek who started programming when he was 6. He worked in a Virtual Reality Lab at the University of Michigan, wrote 3D graphics engines for the video games industry in Texas, and helped build a peer-to-peer file transfer technology called Red Swoosh in California, before founding Expensify.
Expensify has pioneered innovation in the receipt and expense management process by automating every step from receipt scanning through reimbursement. From solo-preneurs to global enterprises across all industries, Expensify serves over five million people and 50,000 customers around the world.
- Starting Expensify off the back of a thwarted attempt to help homeless people
- An overview of what Expensify does
- The coding language Expensify is built on.
- The biggest challenges faced when starting Expensify is David had no idea what he was doing. He asked lots of questions and listened.
- Working with a remote team – you can’t get the best people to work for you if they’re not getting rich and having fun!
- Communication tools used to stay connected with remote staff, hint SLACK is one of them!
- Cloud apps, cryptocurrency and one straight answer.
- Talking shiraz with David Barrett – wine aficionado
- What does the future hold for Expensify?
- Future plans for Expensify: We know we're going to be here forever, so we're making the investments in the product that's going to last forever.
Follow @Expensify on Twitter, like us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Expensify/
), or subscribe to our blog at https://blog.expensify.com/