Want to design a libertarian micronation?
Daniela Ghertovici, Founder and Director of ArchAgenda LLC, joins us to discuss the Liberland Design Competition 2020, which she is curating. https://designliberland2020.splashthat.com/
Daniela is also curating the Free Private Cities Architecture Symposium on July 18, 2020. It's a free online event with no less than three former Anarchitecture guests: Patrik Schumacher, Titus Gebel, and Scott Beyer. Register now at https://freeprivatecitiesarchitecture.splashthat.c…
We can't mention Patrik Schumacher without talking about parametricism, which ArchAgenda LLC was established to promote. Patrik is Daniela's PhD advisor, and together with Lars Van Vianen they are launching Parametricism.com
Use hashtag #ana031 to reference this episode in a tweet, post, or comment
View full show notes at http://anarchitecturepodcast.com/ana031
- "Greenfieldism" (building a new system) as a third alternative to political action (changing an existing system) or agorism (working around an existing system)
- ArchAgenda's Mission and Liberland involvement
- ArchAgenda LLC is a research-based architectural and computational design lab, which aims to advance and promote a new agenda of radical innovation for 21st century architecture and design, known as Parametricism.
- Daniela's introduction to anarcho-capitalism, libertarianism, and Liberland by Patrik Schumacher (Principal of Zaha Hadid Architects)
- Liberland Design Competition 2020
- What is Liberland?
- Micronation, established in 2015 by its current president, Vit Jedlicka.
- Based on the principles of liberty and anarcho- capitalism, powered by a decentralized peer-to-peer computational network (blockchain)
- Liberland is situated on a territory between Serbia and Croatia, previously a Terra Nillius (no man’s land) which has not been claimed by either country prior to the establishment of Liberland.
- Liberland encompasses only 7 square kilometers of land along the Danube River, which periodically floods.
- Geography and history of how Liberland was made possible
- Goals of the competition
- Envision how maximum design freedom can result in a complex legible order
- Ecological sensitivity is of upmost importance
- A lucid development process for a multi-stage evolution towards a fully functional, architecturally sophisticated, and intelligently adaptive city.
- Design Parameters
- Can Liberland’s radical new possibilities for liberty, an unleashed free market economy, and a transparent distributed peer-to-peer computational network (blockchain) stimulate a radical transformation of the built environment?
- How can maximum design freedom result in a complex legible order?
- The vitality of a fertile network society is dependent on the presence of three stabilizing factors: the radical autonomy of its constituent agents (liberty), a commitment to unregulated affiliation (free markets), and a transparent distributed peer-to-peer network (blockchain).
- Patrik Schumacher's Prospective Urban Planning Regimes
- Sponsored Order:
- Self-governed Order
- Spontaneous Order (Wild Zones)
- Liberland as a building site
- Density - Maximum 120,000 residents / 7 square kilometers
- Earthquake risk
- A global network of distributed intelligences, and e-residency program
- Virtual marketplace for architecture
- Napredak development
- Napredak is an approximately 5-hectare zone within Apatin, situated approximately 10km south of Liberland along the Danube River where Liberland docks its boats
- Bitcoin Freedom boat
- Floating Man festival
- Design for near-future development
- Napredak's strategic location
- ARCHITECT, THEORIST AND EDUCATOR Patrik Schumacher
- ARCHITECT AND THEORIST Vedran Mimica
- ARCHITECT Raya Ani, FAIA
- ARCHITECT Bruno Juricic
- BLOCKCHAIN EXPERT Jillian Godsil
- LIBERTARIAN POLICY RESEARCHER Vera Kichanova
- PHILOSOPHER Garet Crossman
- ARCHITECT Jan Petrs
- ARCHITECT Shady Albert Michael
- Negotiate a contract with Liberland to further develop a portion of their competition design scheme
- Liberland "Merits" cryptocurrency towards citizenship
- May 16, 2020 - Competition Launch
- August 16, 2020 - Registration & Questions Deadline
- October 16, 2020 - Design Submission Deadline
- November 2020 - Winners Announced
- Registration Fees
- Professionals $60, Students with current ID $30. One registration fee per team
- A 30% discount for professional and student registration will be in effect July 18 - July 25.
- 2015 Liberland Design Competition
- The requirement to utilize BLOCKCHAIN as a concept generator and design driver is the most pronounced difference between the 2015 and 2020 Liberland Design Competitions.
- Blockchain as the 8th mass media
- A comprehensive information technology for any form of asset registry, inventory, and exchange
- JOE IS A #NOCOINER
- Free Private Cities Architecture Symposium - July 18, 2020
- SESSION 1: FREEDOM AND URBAN DESIGN
- Participants: Patrik Schumacher, Titus Gebel, Shajay Bhooshan, Scott Beyer, Vera Kichanova.
- Discussion will focus on freedom, private cities, charter cities, market urbanism, liquid democracy, economics, markets, distributed intelligence, blockchain powered governance and services, urban and architectural design for free private cities, the migration of architecture to cyberspace, and more.
- SESSION 2: CITIES AND DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION
- Participants: Lev Manovich, Philippe Morel, Neil Leach, Sanford Kwinter.
- Discussion will focus on big data, cultural analytics, planetary scale computation, terraforming, complex epigenetic systems, soft systems, artificial life and intelligence, biology as information theory, virtual reality, augmented reality, internet of things, blockchain, robotics, and more.
- About ArchAgenda
- ArchAgenda Debates at the 2015 Chicago Architecture Biennial
- Patrik Schumacher, Peter Eisenman, Jeffrey Kipnis, Reinier de Graaf, and Theodore Spyropoulos
- Parametricism as best practice
- The Cambrian Explosion in architecture after modernism - tension between experimentation and refinement
- Publish project imagery and research
- Foldism, blobism, swarmism, tectonism
- Architectural Semiology
- Architecture's tasks:
- Phenomenological Articulation
- Semiological Articulation
- Agent-based parametric semiology
- The Migration of Architecture to Cyberspace
- A/B testing
- Those kids and their Minecrafts
- Liberty Minecraft - Diamonds are a libertarian's best friend
- ArchAgenda Future Plans
- Liberland Virtual Market - A blockchain powered virtual reality platform for architecture
- Virtual Symposium at Dutch Design Week in October
- ArchAgenda Debates at the Chicago Architecture Biennial in October 2021
- Year-long series of virtual symposiums, in collaboration with Bruno Juricic