Andy Gray, Senior Editor at Sports Illustrated, joins Rob Cressy to talk about the journey of his sports career. Andy shares how he went from studying English at UMass to landing in the Top 100 most important Twitter feeds for sports fans, to all the awesomeness going down at Sports Illustrated.
Andy gives a ton of actionable advice for anyone looking to make a career of working in sports and no doubt you’ll get a ton of value from this.
In the conversation Andy Gray and I talk about:
- What was the first sports job that he had and how did he land it?
- How did he get his foot in the door at Sports Illustrated?
- How going back to school and getting an internship in his mid 20’s ultimately lead him to the success he’s seeing today.
- The SI Vault: how it started, how it’s catalogued, and where it’s heading moving forward.
- Hot Clicks: what types of content stands out and where does he find the content he posts.
- SI Swimsuit: how did Andy grow it from zero to over 2 million monthly uniques and what’s something about being around models that we wouldn’t realize.
At the end we also have the Tampa Bay lightning round (Go Pens) where Andy answers a bevy of sports questions.
Follow Andy Gray on Twitter @AndyGray35
You can check out the other conversations from my How To Make It In Sports Media
- 10. Jamie Mottram, Creator of For The Win
- 9. Maurice Peebles, Deputy Editor at Complex Sport…
- 8. Joel Cordes, NBA Editor and Analyst at Bleacher…
- 7. Dylan MacNamara, Director of Talent & Media at …
- 6. Zack McRite, 107.7 The Franchise
- 5. Liz Loza, Yahoo Fantasy Sports
- 4. Dan Clasgens, FoxSports 1360, ESPN 1530 & GetSp…
- 3. Todd Heyden, Co-Founder of Sports Lock
- 2. Larry Brown, Founder of LarryBrownSports.com
- 1. Jim Weber, Founder of LostLettermen.com
SUBSCRIBE TO THE BACON SPORTS PODCAST!
1. World’s Largest eBay NBA Jerseys Database
: Find NBA jerseys on eBay easier. We’ve got over 763 past and present NBA players from 1985 whose jerseys you can buy. If you love basketball jerseys then this is the holy grail!
2. Dream of Working in Sports?
We are looking for talented, passionate sports fans that want to be part of Team Bacon Sports and help grow the brand. Having the sports job of your dreams is possible and we want to help make that happen!
3. Follow Bacon Sports on Snapchat
: If you are on Snapchat then you need to be following me faster than Antonio Brown can take one to the house.
Jersey Loving Sports Fans Wanted
If you love all sports everythang, Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson, rocking jerseys, or the Ultimate Warrior then sign up for our newsletter.
The post 157: Sports Illustrated’s Andy Gray
appeared first on Bacon Sports