In any industry, communication is a key factor in a team’s success. For CTOs navigating complex problems, effective communication between all stakeholders is paramount. David Subar
is both a Chief Product Officer and Chief Technology Officer at Interna Consulting. He joined Peter to discuss common patterns that result in communication breakdowns.
David shares some of the clashes that can happen when a CEO’s vision is not in alignment with the metrics or working style of the team. He also discusses why having a hybrid position for a CTO and Product Officer eases workflow. Listen for his advice on diffusing these communication issues.
- (01:25) - David's first jobs out of college
- (03:27) - Transitioning to management
- (07:14) - Interna Consulting
- (09:43) - Common CEO failure patterns
- (12:13) - Relative strengths of C-level executives
- (16:26) - Building credibility and communication paths
- (18:41) - Helping the CEO focus on what matters
- (25:53) - Patterns in failing CTOs
- (28:35) - First time at bat
- (31:45) - Off-handed comments
Special thanks to our global partner – Amazon Web Services (AWS). AWS offers a broad set of global cloud-based products to equip technology leaders to build better and more powerful solutions, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
if you’re interested to learn more about their offerings.CTO Connection
is where you can learn from the experiences of successful engineering leaders at fast-growth tech startups. Whether you want to learn more about hiring, motivating or managing an engineering team, if you're technical and manage engineers, the CTO Connection podcast is a great resource for learning from your peers!
If you'd like to receive new episodes as they're published, please subscribe to CTO Connection in Apple Podcasts
, Google Podcasts
or wherever you get your podcasts. If you enjoyed this episode, please consider leaving a review in Apple Podcasts
. It really helps others find the show.Podcast episode production by Dante32.