Chris Wilkerson is the Founder and CEO of High Bar Capital, which specializes in funding, acquisition, and management of high-quality businesses in niche markets with the goal of growing businesses while increasing their value. Prior to founding High Bar Capital, Chris specialized in business development at Ventro, a B2B marketplace. Chris also works with graduate and undergraduate students as the founder of the Reverse Mentoring Program for the Wharton Executive Education Program. Chris is an active advisory board member for the Cornell Entrepreneurship Network and the Cornell National Scholar Alumni board, and he serves as Treasurer for ACTUS, a charity focused on the arts, nature preservation, and health initiatives.
What You Will Learn:
- Chris shares how he started his first business, a plant nursery, after his parents wrote a book titled "Businesses Your Kids Can Start" and wanted to use him as a test case when he was a child.
- Chris highlights what High Bar Capital does, what sorts of investments they make, and what sorts of deals they do. He shares why High Bar Capital works to own more than a majority portion of 3-5 businesses at any given time.
- Chris shares important lessons he learned doing deals of his own, and he offers specific scenarios and strategies that highlight why it is important to know who you're dealing with and what they truly want.
- Chris explains "white labeling" deals, where his company allows another company to claim the work as their own, and he shares why it is important to offer a service core to your partner's business and deliver it seamlessly.
- Chris shares how his company raises money through three different categories, including tax incentives. He discusses why deals have been an important component of raising capital.
- Chris shares why the ability to create a positive impact on everyone involved in a deal is his top priority when evaluating whether a deal is worthwhile.
How to connect with Chris Wilkerson:
for privacy and opt-out information.