With the ability to connect with anyone, anywhere in the world, feels like we’re more isolated and ineffective than ever. But what if we worried less about making a big impact. And focused more on doing the things in front of us with quality and depth?
I’m a big fan of this week's mentor, Shontell Brewer
. She’s a wise mom to five kiddos. And she has an excellent sense of humor. More than that, she has discipled her children well to love and serve others around them.
Discipleship can be organic. Keeping your ministry small enough. To be present wherever God has placed you.
In this episode, which originally aired as Episode 140 (Oct 2016), Shontell and I talk about discipleship during dinner conversations. She shares her method of asking really specific questions. And giving her kiddos a challenge for the day to love others in tangible ways (e.g., encouraging a 4 year old to compliment his preschool teacher).
My most favorite thing we talk about is Taco Tuesday. The last Tuesday of the month, the Brewer family serves up meat & tortillas. They invite coaches, teachers, friends, neighbors (any one who interacts regularly with their kids) into their home.
We love on our community one taco at a time.
I shared the idea with my boys and they wanted to do it the next night (“Taco Tuesday, but on a Monday”). I’ll let you know how that goes. We may go the Pizza Friday route (love our community one slice at a time).
Shontell also inspired me to help open my boys’ spiritual eyes. And to encourage them to fight over who is going to put the other one first.
What we chat about:
- How women apologize for their carpet
- Keeping your ministry small
- Specific questions to ask during dinner time conversations
- How Shontell helped her daughter minister to her Starbucks’ manager
- Sending your kids to school with a basic challenge to bless someone
- Setting the habit of conversation and other family “norms”
- Learning to not be offended when our kids aren’t performing
- Parenting small with intimate corrective conversations
- The BEST idea to invite people into your home monthly–> Taco Tuesdays!