One of our favorite Instagram follows is here! Saira Siddiqui (@confessionsofamuslimmom
) is a perspective-shifting writer and digital parent educator. If you haven’t met Saira yet, allow us to introduce you. Pull up a chair (and pull out a notepad!)—you’ll want to give this conversation your full attention and catch every bit of Saira's wisdom. Listening to Saira will challenge your ideas about education and embolden you to go your own way with whatever method of learning and living your family embraces.
In this episode:
- Saira Siddiqui is a Digital Parent Educator, advocating critically thinking, anti-bias, self-directed education (unschooling), and stronger emotional health for parents and children: "The goal of education is critical thinking.”
- We talk a lot about unschooling and what it means to Saira: “Unschooling and self-direction isn’t just how we learn, it’s a mindset. It’s a lifestyle.”
- We touch on deschooling ourselves and unlearning our educational backgrounds, including questioning the idea that work and home have to be separate: “What are my passions? What am I pursuing? What am I contributing?”
- Saira also explains how unschooling changed her own path: “It wasn’t until I really truly embraced unschooling that my own trajectory took off.”
- Plus, we talk about the value of self-direction in learning: “A lot of what makes us successful as adults has to be very intrinsic.”
- Lastly, Saira shares about their family’s choice to live abroad: “When you live in a place, you see people for how they see themselves, not how you see them.”
Connect with Saira on Instagram
, and her website
Get the Extended Interview! Patrons
get our extended interview where we talk about some of Saira's favorite books (your TBR pile is about to get a lot taller!). We also get her take on the Homeschool Unrefined signatures: "What We Don't Do" and "Giving Ourselves Credit"–join now to listen
Speaking of Patreon...
We're capping our closed Voxer group, which is currently available to all Super Squad supporters
($8/month level). This means that if you want in on this amazing group of homeschool mamas, JOIN NOW! We're closing the group to new members on December 9, 2019. Don't miss your chance to get in! https://www.patreon.com/homeschoolunrefined
Show Some Love Leave us an iTunes review!
Your reviews help more people find the podcast. When new people find us, they'll see how much YOU love the podcast and want to listen, too!
Secure your spot on the "Nice" list
Want to give Homeschool Unrefined a (FREE!) gift this holiday season? Use our affiliate link
! Every time you're shopping on Amazon, use our magical link
FIRST and we'll get a small kickback on whatever you purchase. Every little bit adds up, especially when all of you use the link! https://www.amazon.com/shop/homeschoolunrefined
Put our Personalities & Homeschool classes
on your wish list this year! Each class is $10, with all four classes bundled for just $30. (Psst... Patrons get an additional discount on the four-class package. Join us at the Squad or Super Squad levels
to access these exclusive savings now!)
It's a great time to treat yourself to Homeschool Unrefined totes, hoodies, mugs, and more in our Merch Shop
Loving This Week
Angela: Splendid Women's Thermal Wrap Hooded Cardigan
Before You Go...
Share this episode with a friend and let’s keep the conversation going in our closed Facebook group: Unrefined Homeschoolers
Connect with us! Visit our website
| Sign up for our newsletter
. | Support us on Patreon
. | Join our closed Facebook group: Unrefined Homeschoolers
Follow us on Facebook
Angela on Instagram: @unrefinedangela
| Maren on Instagram: @unrefinedmaren
Email us any questions or feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit our Amazon Shop: https://www.amazon.com/shop/homeschoolunrefined
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.