March 30, 2021
Why the Resurrection Matters
Two questions regarding the resurrection
- What does the resurrection mean?
- Jesus is who he claims he is.
- Matthew 16:13-17 (NIV) Equal with God
13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"
14 They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
15 "But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"
16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
17 Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. Jesus never claimed to be a great religious leader. He never claimed to be a great prophet. But He did claim to be the Son of God. And by claiming that title – the association was, that He was equal with God.
- John 14:6 (NIV) The Only Way to God
6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Jesus says here that He and He alone is the only way to God. In other words, contrary to popular belief, not all roads lead to heaven.
- The resurrection means that Jesus has the power that he claims to have.
- John 10:18 (NLT)
18 No one can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again. For this is what my Father has commanded.”
No one could keep Him in the tomb
- Why does the resurrection matter?
- Our sin can be forgiven Romans 3:23-24 (NLT)
23 For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.
24 Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins.
- We can have a purpose for living. Jesus came that we may have life. Not just life in the future in the glory of heaven, but life in the here and now.
- We can have a home in heaven. John 14:1-3 (NIV)
1 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.