Michael Bungay Stanier explains why we need to stop giving advice and start asking questions instead.
1) Three reasons why advice is overrated.
2) A step-by-step process for breaking your advice-giving habit.
3) How to ask more insightful questions.
Michael Bungay Stanier is an author and the founder of Box of Crayons, a company best known for teaching 10-minute coaching so that busy managers can build stronger teams and get better results. He was named the first Canadian Coach of the Year. He left Australia 25 years ago to be a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford University.
Michael has been featured in several publications such as Business Insider, Forbes, The Globe & Mail, Fast Company, and The Huffington Post. He has held senior positions in the corporate, consultancy, and agency worlds. He has lived and worked in Australia, the UK, the US, and Canada. He currently lives in Toronto.
Resources mentioned in the show:
Thank you Sponsors!
- formstack. Get home earlier with simplified workflows. Visit formstack.com/awesome for a 14-day free trial.
- Blinkist. Learn more, faster with book summaries you can read or listen to in 15 minutes at blinkist.com/awesome
- Fender Play. Learn to play an instrument with your first two weeks FREE at fender.com/AWESOME.
View transcript, show notes, and links at http://AwesomeAtYourJob.com/ep555