In this episode we hear from Georgina Coke
who founded By Georgie
in 2015. George explains how, having been made redundant, she took a step she would never have anticipated. Prompted by friends she took the plunge to set up on her own and six years later she has no regrets, saying redundancy was the best thing that could have happened to her. She is the 100% owner of a company which connects luxury travel companies to a select group of destination management companies. By Georgie
represents a select few destination management companies and boutique lodges in the UK and European market. You can contact George on firstname.lastname@example.org
Georgina is also a founding member of The Conscious Travel Foundation
, a social enterprise established to unite and educate owner-operated travel businesses and promote travel as a force for good, raising funds for grass-roots charity projects around the world.
George’s advice includes:
- Redundancy is an opportunity; once you’re over the shock that is
- Practical first steps include registering your company, set up the business bank account and find an accountant
- Speak to a range of people you trust, both for practical advice and for emotional support
- Delegate to experts: don’t try to do it all yourself, but allow those more experienced to do the jobs you dislike as you’ll get a better return
- Make sure you take time off, break up the day and ensure you take holiday
- Plan your day so nothing gets forgotten; two meetings a day is enough
- Observe your work/life balance consistently in order to get it right
- Relish your autonomy and the flexibility it gives you
Thank you for listening. I’d love to hear your own startup stories too and please do let me know if you have any questions for future guests as well: email@example.com
I would also be delighted if you could rate, review and share this podcast with anyone else who may be starting a company in 2020. Hosted by Juliet Fallowfield, founder of PR for startups advisory Fallow, Field & Mason
, How To Start Up hopes to bring you confidence, encouragement and reassurance that you’re on the right track.
Recorded, edited & published by Juliet Fallowfield in September 2020.
MUSIC CREDIT Funk Game Loop by Kevin MacLeod. Link