In this episode of I Do, We Do, we interview our very first duo, Bill and Rose Moyer. They are one of the duo’s we admire most and they happen to be Billy’s parents. We chat with them about their different careers, interests and styles and how they have been better together for 40 years! We also discuss the important of growing together rather than growing apart. About Bill and Rose Moyer: Bill and Rose have been married for 40 years. They have four grown kids and eight grandkids. They have always had different careers and interests, but they have made the choice to grow together. Bill works with Billy in SOS Leadership, that they founded together. He has written four books and is one of the top leadership minds in the world. Rose has dedicated her life to social work, mostly serving the elderly. She spent 20 plus years working at Meals on Wheels. What We Discussed in this Interview:
- Since we’re about to hit our seven year anniversary, we had Bill and Rose reflect on where they were at their seven year anniversary
- We asked if they consider themselves a couple that’s very different from each other or if they’re more like two peas in a pod
- In response, Bill and Rose claim that at first, early in their relationship, they were opposites in terms of personality, behavior, and styles based on the DISC Assessment.
- Now, they are two peas in a pod that finish each other’s sentences.
- We asked them how they built their relationship from being complete opposites to now being two peas in a pod
- “Through the years, you get to the point where you just want to be together and so you kind of figure out that by being together sometimes you may do things you may not want to do and sometimes you may try something new and you may think ‘Oh my gosh! That’s really good. I want to keep on doing that.’”
- We asked them to provide some examples of things that they use to not be crazy about that the other was crazy about in the early years of their marriage and are now crazy about because of the other
- Rose did not care about sports at all in the beginning years, now she loves sports.
- Bill use to not be crazy about symphonies, quiet walks, theater, etc and now enjoys all of those things.
- We how they collaborate with each other within and outside of their careers
- They support each other in the work they do.
- They also have worked closely together outside of their careers when they collaborated as youth ministers at their church. This was something they were both passionate about and that they made the decision to do together even though it was like a second job. They loved it!
- We asked them to describe their process of how they make crucial decisions together
- “We use the Ben Franklin method,” Bill said. “Where you draw the a line in the middle of a piece of paper and list the pros and cons and talk it out through there; even though one side may be bigger than the other, sometimes things are weighted in a different way, so we look at the importance of that.”
- They consider logic more so than emotion when it comes to decision-making.
- “We’re always going to have different ideas, opinions, desires, but it all comes down to why we exist and what our purpose is, and how can we walk that journey together to work it out.”
- We discussed how Bill and Rose choose to grow together rather than grow apart
- “If you don’t pay attention to where you are going together, it’s so easy that when you go one degree off and go too far down the road to where you and your partner can have “irreconcilable differences,” which leads to a split.
- They want to resolve and work through their differences no matter how many differences they may have with each other.
Music "Sunny" from Bensound.com. Learn more about Billy and Ashley at BashleyMoyer.com