David Oakes is an actor known for his role in "The Borgias" and Prince Ernest in the ITV show "Victoria". David also runs the Trees a Crowd
podcast "for those curious about the world around us."
Charm, good looks and talent are just some of the things that I do not share with David. But the point of this podcast is precisely this: to find people whose lives appear to be very different to my own, and then seek out the overlaps, the commonalities, and the lessons I can learn from what they do.
We discussed making a living in unpredictable and unreliable ways, the things that scare us, and how to deal with the imposter syndrome.
(It’s completely free, zero hassle to do (click here
), but really helpful for me trying to get a new podcast off the ground. If you’re feeling extra kind, please leave a review on the app – that really helps.)Listen on Apple Podcasts
(“Alexa, please play the Living Adventurously podcast”) or on your favourite podcast platform such as Overcast, Google Podcasts
, Pocket Casts, Breaker
, Soundcloud, Castbox, Castro.
- If you enjoy listening to this episode over a cup of coffee and think it might be worth the price, you can buy me a coffee here: www. ko-fi.com/al_humphreys
- Keep up to date with future episodes (and my other adventures, projects and books) with my free monthly newsletter: alastairhumphreys.com/mor…
- Say hello on Twitter and Instagram: @al_humphreys
- David Oakes, Twitter, website, podcast.
- I was blessed with parents who had followed their dreams
- My dad gave up a lucrative career for one which was more emotionally and spiritually rewarding
- Had doubts about whether he would get work.
- About half the people he trained with didn't make it
- The confidence you need at beginning you can sadly only get by doing
- I don't know what I want to do until I do it
- I know that I'm better than some people and not as good as other people
- It's not useful to doubt whether you are good
- It's the same fear level whether speaking to 10 or 1000
- It's never too late to re-train, re-purpose, change direction
- Do something every day that scares you
- You spend most of your time out of work - you face constant rejection.
- When you're the most famous actor in the world, the only way is down.
- I make sure to enjoy my life in between the work. I work to live, not the other way round.
- What made me miserable was comparing myself to other actors.
- I have a rule which is to leave the house every day.
- Sound recordist Chris Watson - recording dawn chor…
- The little adventures of life are what makes life worth living
- I suspect that 'enough' does not exist
- Realising that everyone has exactly the same struggles and doubts and worries as us is really helpful.
- I keep a show journal - writing notes after every performance
THIS PODCAST IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY KOMOOT
Your very own outdoor experiences are waiting for you. Go explore more with komoot
. Use the voucher code ADVENTUROUS
to claim your free region maps bundle.The personalised planning and navigation tools ensure you plan the adventure that’s perfect for you. Komoot is Europe’s number 1 outdoor app, with route planning and navigation functionality, and strong community-driven inspirational features in the form of recommended Highlights and inspirational route Collections. It is used by nearly 10 million adventurers worldwide. Komoot is becoming the app of choice for cyclists and hikers the world over, with rapid community growth in the UK, the US and other parts of Europe.
You can see my ride’s route on komoot here
★ Support this podcast ★