Will & Jes return to discuss the indie breakout hit, THE VAST OF NIGHT, in which two ambitious small-town go-getters find themselves on the increasingly mysterious and disturbing trail of a signal that invades the airwaves on the night of the biggest high school basketball game of the year. What makes this film so incredibly and unexpectedly compelling?
- how the film's treatment of UFO lore excels despite it being a much-used subject
- the film's expert use of suspense
- how the cinematography -- sometimes unconventional but always deft -- enhances the story
- how the script meticulously builds character to make the ending (and every crazy story beat) feel compelling and breathlessly realistic
- the ambiguity of the finale
- how the aliens of CONTACT (1997) compare to whoever or whatever is behind the mysterious signal in THE VAST OF NIGHT
- how Jes will get his teenage children to watch the movie
Come geek out with us!
Twitter & Insta: @MechaDragonShow
--- This episode is sponsored by · Anchor: The easiest way to make a podcast. https://anchor.fm/app
Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/mecha-dragon/support