Today’s guest is Gene Berdichevsky, Co-Founder & CEO of Sila Nanotechnologies.
Prior to co-founding Sila, Gene was the seventh employee at Tesla Motors where he served as Principal Engineer on the Roadster battery, leading the development of the world’s first, safe, mass-produced, automotive lithium-ion battery system.
Gene holds two degrees from Stanford University; an MS in Engineering with a focus on energy and materials, and a BS in Mechanical Engineering. He has co-authored 42 patents and 4 academic publications. Gene has been named to the Forbes 30 under 30 list, the MIT Technology Review 35 Under 35, and was a recipient of the Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowship for New Americans.
In today’s episode, we cover:
- Overview of Sila Nanotechnologies
- Battery industry overview, and the role of batteries in the climate fight
- Where EVs are in their adoption curve, and how they will connect to the grid in the future
- Gene’s path to becoming a battery entrepreneur, including joining Tesla as employee #7
- Gene’s great story about how he got hired at Tesla!
- Origin story of Sila Nanotechnologies, including how it formed while he was an EIR at Sutter Hill Ventures
- The importance of starting in high value markets in tough tech
- Gene’s views on the best ways for tough tech companies to get funded
- The importance of focusing on the process, not the result
- Sila’s progress to-date, and how the company has been capitalized along the way
- The potential impact it can have, if successful
- What’s coming next, and what barriers and hurdles they face to adoption
- The most impactful things that could change in order to accelerate their path
- What Gene would do with a big pot of money to maximize its impact in the climate fight
- His advice for others looking to find their lane
Links to topics discussed in this episode:
You can find me on twitter @jjacobs22 or @mcjpod and email at firstname.lastname@example.org
, where I encourage you to share your feedback on episodes and suggestions for future topics or guests.
Enjoy the show!