PHOTO CREDIT: Aaron Watson Photography
We're SO excited to chat this week with Meghan Ely of OFD Consulting
. Meghan has a RAD job... she basically works with wedding professionals to help them get published & market themselves! The world of wedding public relations is a tricky one to navigate, so it's great to have an expert in the field on the show to help us with some tips on how to make it easier! Key Takeaways:
- What are some things we as photographers focus on from a wedding public relations standpoint?
- Photographers should focus on getting real weddings published both in blogs and in print: select images, write the couple's story, and find your place in media.
- When you're in a saturated market, you can also try to gain third party credibility. Ideally, you want to be the "expert" and be the go-to person for quotes from credible sources like The Knot or Wedding Wire.
- If you've been in business a long time, you can look to elevate your brand among your peers. This includes things like speaking engagements, getting awards, and more.
- How can I get started on the correct wedding public relations path?
- Set goals for yourself. Ask yourself: "Why am I doing this?" Also, focus on who you're trying to impress. What market are you interested in?
- Decide which sources of media you are attracted to the most. You want to pick a media source that matches your ideal client.
- Give your portfolio a good, hard look. Does it represent your best work? Does it compliment your ideal clients? While we know our own work and the story behind it, it's super important to make sure it comes through in our portfolio as well.
- How can photographers pitch ideas to the media?
- Look for themes in your body of work. Is there anything that stands out from recent weddings that could work for a piece? Maybe you've shot a lot of beautiful cakes recently... figure out how you can turn that into a story
- Think about any bloopers or funny stories that have popped up recently. Think about if there's any chance you can turn that funny story into an article.
- Take 15-20 minutes once a week and catch up on current events in the wedding field & try to find a way to write a spinoff piece focusing on something that's been in the news recently.
Listen to the full episode to hear even more awesome tips from Meghan! Related Links:
Download from iTunes Here Download from iTunes Here