A Society, Culture and Education podcast
Good podcast? Give it some love!

Best Episodes of PNWcast

Mark All
Search Episodes...
If you need help during these Eagle Creek Fire Evacuations:The Red Cross is operating relief shelters at Mount Hood Community College in Gresham, and at Hedgewald Center in Stevenson, Washington.If you are looking for ways to help these people by volunteering or donating locally, call the Hood River County Sheriff’s Office at 541-387-6911
Michael Socolow, " Six Minutes In Berlin - Broadcast Spectacle and Rowing Gold at the Nazi Olympics " Right now, you’re hearing audio from 1936. Berlin, Germany. Specifically, the opening ceremonies of the 1936 Summer Olympics. In which, 9 guys from the University of Washington would compete against the best athletes in the world for a chance to win the gold medal in Olympic rowing. You probably have heard this story before, mostly because of the best-selling book The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown. It became such a popular book that they’re making a movie about it. But long, long before Brown began writing his book, there was another author, and he had been tracking down this story for years.That’s Michael Socolow. Even if you read the Boys on the Boat book or have heard this story before Michael Socolow’s book, Six Minutes In Berlin goes obsessively deep into researching this story revealing some aspects of it that have gone overlooked and ignored. Aspects that have changed really everything. From sports to modern celebrity to even how you’re listening to this podcast right now. What started as an unexpected talented group of young college guys in Washington State turned out to become a global changing of the times.You’re listening to PNWcast. Today on the show, we get to hear exclusive, unreleased, never before heard by the public, first person accounts of the 1936 Olympic games from the men that rowed in them.We’re talking about the early 1900’s. Radio and television were in it’s infancy. And it was about to rocket ahead about 20 years. Just a few years before the Olympic Games in Berlin, Televisions weren’t even really electronic. The screen, the tv screen, had a small motor with a spinning disc and a neon lamp, which worked together to give a blurry reddish-orange picture about half the size of a business card. We call this period the "Mechanical Television Era” and it lasted until right up to 1936. Radio however, was in it’s prime. FM broadcasting is a fairly new progression and networks like NBC and CBS are just a few years old. But Everyone, everyone listens to the radio. And at this time, if you’re listening to the radio for sports, you’re probably listening to rowing races.I think it’s worth mentioning, because I didn’t know this, but rowing was a big deal. Today we have football games, basketball, soccer and so on that popularity wise and attendance wise are much larger than rowing is today. But there was a time, back in the early 1900’s, where that was drastically opposite.
Honolulu, Hawaii. Home to the University of Hawaii. And in the early 1900’s, when today’s story takes place, it was much different than the school it is today. Instead of teaching almost 20,000 young minds in one of the most beautiful places on earth, it was a struggling campus with 21 undergrads in attendance. It’s steady growth especially from 1914 to 1927 was credited to the President of the university, Arthur L Dean. Dean graduated from Harvard in 1912 and went to work for Yale university teaching philosophy until he got a call from the University of Hawaii saying they were interested in bringing him on as president. He took the job and went on to achieve some scientific fame through some of his research which, in turn helped the popularity of the school. The research he became known for was a cure for leprosy. Called The Dean Method after himself. This is an excerpt from the front page of The voice of Hawaii, Hawaii’s daily newspaper at the time when Arthur Dean retired. “Dr. Arthur L Dean is the discoverer of chaulmoogra oil which has been used with very satisfactory results in treating cases of leprosy. The research work in chaulmoogra oil derivatives will continue in the university under the direction of Dr. Arthur L Dean.” He was honored in the university and they put his name on the biology building and renamed it after himIt should also be known that Dr Arthur L Dean was accused of plagiarizing in it’s entirety that same leprosy cure research from a young, black female chemist from Seattle not even a year after she died at 24 years old. Today, we hear her storyHer name was Alice Ball, and she was incredible. If you try searching for anything more than a small biography on Alice, you won’t find much. Very little is known about her and her short life. But among the few people who researched Alice Ball to dig up more of her story is Dr. Kathryn Takara.
If you’re in Portland right now or are familiar with the area, you most likely haven't seen an enormous sign made of bright lights advertising sugar before. But I would bet that you know the sign I’m talking about. Right now it’s an outline of Oregon with a deer jumping over the words, “Portland, Oregon. Old Town.” And before that, from 1997-2010, it had the same deer, but said, “Made in Oregon” under it. And before that, after 17 years of advertising sugar, in 1957 An outdoor and ski clothing company moved their operation into the old town building and changed the sign by adding the outline of a leaping deer with the company’s name, White Stag Sportswear. Harold graduated Dartmouth and headed to Oxford in England to get his graduate work in anthropology completed. But then in 1929, the great depression hit, and to help his family, he went back west. Back to Portland. His Dad owned a Tent and Awning company called the Hirsch-Weis Manufacturing Company and Harold went to go work for his Dad to help out. But skiing never left Harold’s mind. With no lifts, tows, lodges or really access to skiing anywhere, he put his powder-focused mind on something else. He started making ski jackets and ski pants for the extremely small group of people in Portland and Seattle that painstakingly herringboned themselves up small hills just to get a small rush of riding down for a minute or two. He didn’t make any money…mostly took losses on his creations, but he made damn good clothes for skiing. And just in time too. Business only got better after the economy started rising again and Harold’s new ski clothing company that he called “White Stag Sportswear” was the largest ski clothing company in the world. He even bought himself an enormous bright lit up sign with the outline of Oregon and a deer on it and put his company name on it.For more than 40 years, White Stag were the leaders in ski and outdoor apparel design – that distinctive rust-red waterproof parka for the National Ski Patrol? That was Harold. He helped found the National Ski Equipment and Apparel Association (now SnowSports Industries of America) and, in 1963, established the Hirsch Award, given annually to the United States’ best snow-sports journalist, photographer and broadcaster. Harold also was a pioneer in racially integrating his company during World War II. “There is an element in me, because I am Jewish,” he told an interviewer, “that gave me a sympathy for people who have to bear prejudice.”In 1949, Harold met a lovely, local socialite named Elizabeth. Who has on her list of childhood friends is this guy (Jimmy Stewart) Harold and Elizabeth were married that year and they both went on to enjoy the success of White Stag and the growth of their community. 8 years later, it happened. Elizabeth loved Christmas. She went all out each year, decorations, songs, parties, gifts everything. Harold, however, was jewish. He wasn’t really into the Santa Claus type Christmas or really into at all. On their way to 67 W Burnside street one December night, Elizabeth mentioned to Harold that the sign should be decorated for Christmas. He said he’s consider it, but mostly dismissed it. But Elizabeth persisted. every time they passed the sign, she’;s make a comment on how it needed something for Christmas. For however much Harold didn’t like Christmas, he loved his wife even more and just wanted her to be happy. So in 1959, as a Christmas surprise for his wife, Harold made a subtle festive change to the sign by adding a bright red light on the top of the deer’s nose to look like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.The city of Portland owns the sign now, and as I mentioned before, it’s gone through some changes since then. But the one thing that stays the same is every year in time for Christmas, a bright red light, goes in the exact same place on that White Stag’s nose. For Elizabeth. For Christmas. From Harold Hirsch.
He’s going to go down in history as Seattle’s first superhero. Some will argue Seattle’s best superhero. Now some listeners might be thinking that “Yeh yeh, Superheroes aren’t real…they’re just make believe for kids or in comic books and movies, so get on with it,” but bear with me on this one, because seriously…Seattle’s first superhero. His superpower? The ability to create and manipulate electricity and light. For that reason, people called him Electron-boy. The reason electron boy is going down in history is because of what happened in Seattle, April 29th, 2010. There were these two bad guys they went by the names of Dr. Dark and Blackout boy, their plan, was to create complete darkness first all over the Seattle area, and then all over the world. The only person that could stop them, would be a superhero that could fight the dark with light; electron boy. But at the time, Electron boy was only a 13 years old kid, and he was suffering from life threatening medical conditions, so he would need some help. He got that help from from his family and the Make-a-wish foundation.
Story told by Shane Proster. Cemetery explored with Dana Walters.Happy Halloween.
Craigslist, you know it, I know it. It’s one of the largest sites in the world and I would bet that most of us, have bought or sold items from craigslist or at least know people that have. Internet marketplaces like this are a great resource. Need affordable furniture? Craigslist. Need a magician for a party. Craigslist. Need a job, concert tickets, a car, that rare, 1st pressing vinyl of Brand New’s 1st record? It’s all on craigslist. But with everything good, simple and convenient about craigslist, there’s also that small voice in the back of your head. What if this is a scam? What if this faceless person is selling me something stolen? Because it’s so easy and accessible, so much could go wrong. For example, there’s this guy Robert, lives in Jacksonville, Oregon and he came home from work one day to a line of cars at his house and about 30 people on his property, packing almost everything he owned into their cars. Someone had stolen tools, his swing on the front porch and even his horse. He started confronting people, screaming what are you doing? This is my stuff! This is my house. He was told about this ad, on craigslist that had his address on it saying that robert was being forced to leave and everything had to go. For Free. First come first serve. If you can take it, it’s yours. Robert had never been on craigslist and knew nothing about it, but thousands of dollars in property was taken that day. The legal team at Craigslist was able to trace the ads and a couple was arrested 5 days later. Turns out, this married couple had actually earlier that week stolen horse saddles from Robert’s barn and to cover up their robbery, they posted the ad on craigslist. It was a pretty sinister hoax, but robert ended up getting most of his stuff back by the people that unknowingly stole from him that day. Today on the show, stories like this one, going deep into craigslist to find the scams, hoaxes, criminals and the people that aren’t putting up with it This is PNWcast, you’re listening to Episode 20
It's March 18th, 2010, Rockaway Beach, Oregon. Unusually sunny and clear for a spring morning on the Oregon Coast, a couple of loggers high up on a rocky, dirt road off of peterson creek are working in a clearcut. To harvest some timber they head into a heavy forest and walking through the dewy, wet foliage they come across, some metal. Hundreds of pieces of it scattered all over. Over about a 200 yard area in these woods were ripped apart pieces from what looked like an aircraft. A piece of a wing here, cockpit controls over there, a small part of fuselage with an old, white star logo painted on military green and patches from a leather bomber jacket. They didn't find a body though, and this raised alot of questions. Like where did it come from? Why did it crash? What happened to and more importantly who was the pilot? To find the answers, we need to go back about 70 years to World War 2, in the Pacific Northwest. This PNWcast, episode 19.
Seattle 1999. As a part of the anti-globalization movement there were a series of protests surrounding the World Trade Organization or WTO that held a conference at the Washington State Convention. It was supposed to the launch of a new millennial round of trade negotiations but quickly turned into about 40,000 protestors barricading streets, smashing windows of nearby stores and locking down intersections in downtown Seattle. This led to the King County Sheriff Office and Seattle Police department firing pepper spray, tear gas, stun grenades and arresting over 500 people. The protests resulted in over 150 wrongful arrest by police that led to the an out of court settlement of $250,000 paid to the arrested by the City of Seattle but more importantly the increased exposure of WTO in US media and the creation of the independent media center which is a global, open publishing network offering grassroot, non-corporate coverage. This has gone down in the history books and movies as The Battle of Seattle. But the real Battle of Seattle happened 143 years earlier on January 26th, 1856.In 1856, Seattle was a small settlement located where Pioneer Square is right now; founded by the Denny Party I talked about last Christmas. If you haven’t listened to that story, you should even if it’s not holiday season yet. I’ll put the link in the show notes. The first plats for the village were filed in 1853 and nominal land settlements were established in 1855. This caused a series of small skirmishes between the settlers and the Native Americans they were pushing out. See, the Natives were pissed by these treaties that came from controversial Governor Isaac Stevens. On January 21st, Governor Stevens declared a quote unquote war of extermination upon the natives. 5 days later, hidden in the forests surrounding the small clearing by the Puget, indian tribes waited to ambush the settlers. And they would have been successful too! If it wasn’t for the Decatur.Warship under Sail The USS Decatur in the Pacific West LORRAINE MCCONAGHY 12 - The First Pacific Northwest Christmas
If you open up the Oregon Trail video game and press the number 3, you’ll see the default top scores from the game set up by the developers in 1990, ninth on the list with 2052 points, is Ezra Meeker and today we find out why and try to beat his score. This is PNWcast, you’re listening to episode 17. Ezra Meeker was a pioneer that first made the trip to Portland, Oregon from Eddyville, Iowa in 1852. He did so without losing a single person in his party, and subsequently made other trips back and forth on the same trail, creating historical markers for people to visit, to remember the trail and preserve the stories of all it’s travelers. He is known as quite a few things, first mayor of Puyallup, The Hop King of the world, and the champion of the Oregon trail. Ezra Meeker also documented everything, along with authoring books, he has over 17 boxes worth of written material that someone could sort through and learn everything there was to know about Ezra and his life. Someone did, and is in the process of writing a 4 volume biography about him. This is Dennis Larson.Now, I haven’t played the Oregon trial since elementary school, and I think since I have the guy writing about the champion of the real Oregon trail on the phone, I have a real shot at getting a top score. So I had Dennis play a game with me.
www.atom509.wordpress.comI have a few quick disclaimers before I start this episode: PNWcast is a region specific podcast covering history and culture in the Pacific Northwest. The story I'm bringing you today is technically political and current, so it's a little different, but I think it's relevant. To be clear, this episode is in no way making a political statement or telling you who to vote for, but strongly encourages you vote and have open conversations about this year's election. Also, the scene this story draws from is in Spokane, Washington which is technically the inland northwest. I've already received emails correcting me geographically when it comes to what's included in the Pacific Northwest, so if you were about to shoot over another email, you don't have to, we're good. Also, this episode includes some pretty heavy material that might be triggers for some people along with brief uncensored language and strong derogatory phrases.In this election we have Kasich, Cruz and Trump running for the Republican nomination and Hilary Clinton and Bernie Sanders for the Democratic. The presidential hopefuls have been making their rounds around the country, stopping in most large cities holding these rallies where supporters can get together and hear the candidate speak. The democratic hopeful Bernie Sanders made his stops through Washington last week and I wanted to see what he was about so I attended the Rally in Spokane, Washington....along with 10,000 other people.The scene was unreal. Bernie Sanders was scheduled to speak at 9pm, but the people at the front of the line showed up at 7am. I showed up at around 4pm and had to walk down the line through riverfront park a little over half a mile. Eventually the line would be close to a mile long. There was this energetic vibe through the whole park, there were performers, there were cheers and singing, there was music, and everyone felt something, like something big. Among the 10,000 attendees, was this guy. His name is Adam Gregory, he's a photographer in spokane. He went down to the Bernie Rally to take some pictures and witness the spectacle. He had no idea that he about to capture some of the most real and raw photos of his career.
UTOPIA is a Greek word for an imaginary place where everyone and everything is perfect. In the early 1890’s, this was an attractive society in America and resulted in the creation of model communities within the greater society and there were a lot of Utopian Experiments. One of the more interesting ones, was started in the Pacific Northwest.Three men, George Allen, Oliver Verity and B.F. O’Dell founded their own utopian dream in Washington State after being a part of a previous attempt of a utopian society. They left Glennis, Washington and bought some land off of the Key Peninsula and founded a society with absolute freedom and rejection of their contemporary values. In 1896, the utopia called Home, Washington was born and became known as an anarchist city.Home started out with the three founders and grew into a group of over 600 at one point. After seeing the growth of Home and seeing what they had gone through as a community it seems like you would be able to call it a successful experiment. However a well-known sociologist Rosabeth Kanter argued in her 1972 book, Commitment & Community: Communes and Utopias in Sociological Perspective, she argued that the internal characteristics of a utopian community lead to its success or failure. Kanter defined a “successful” commune as one that lasted for longer than thirty-three years.There a a few stories that make Home, washington stand out from other utopian experiments during that time. For example, Home gained the attention of it’s neighboring large cities in 1901. Not in a good way though.Going back to Rosabeth Kanter’s keys for a successful utopia, she said the generation had to be passed on, and last at least 33 years. Another story I like to come out of this Anarchist Utopia is the story of Donald Vose.Most people have never heard of Home, Washington or the stories that stemmed from there, at the time he wrote his book, there were only three other recorded accounts to help research Home. The normal way my interviews with authors tend to go, I find interesting stories about the research DURING the writing of the book, but in this case, Justin had connections AFTER the book was published that add to the overall experience of the history.
There was a forest in Port Clements on the Queen Charlotte Islands off the Beautiful British Columbia shoreline. This forest was home to the only Giant Golden Spruce in the world. This tree was sacred to the natives and it was the source of many myths and stories. The locals on the island embraced the tree and it brought tourists from all over. It was even part of the town’s logo. Walking through the forest by the Yakoun River you would be surrounded by green sitka spruce trees all around you, with just one towering above the rest that, because of a rare mutation was glowing a bright gold. As if each branch were a string of holiday lights. People who have seen it have called it a real life fairy tale tree. This is the story of the man who cut that tree to the ground and has been missing for almost 20 years.His name is Grant Hadwin. If you get lost in the comment sections of some of the articles written about Grant Hadwin, you’ll see people refer to him as eccentric. An unstable, loud, drunk. An unemployed loser. An asshole. However, there’s a side to each story. Looking at Grant, you would see a tall, fit, chiseled man who came from an educated family in West Vancouver. A man that has outran grizzly bears, gone swimming in thirty five degrees below zero weather, he even once disappeared without telling anybodyNow, just to be clear, it's not like Hadwin just lost his cool one day and arbitrarily cut this tree down. He spent a long time writing letters and appealing to every public outlet, government agency, he contacted everyone up certain chain of commands that he could. He wrote to the Vancouver Sun to try and create awareness, Greenpeace to ask for help, even the police. Ultimately, after his letters went nowhere, falling on deaf ears.On January 20th 1997, Grant Hadwin swam across a river with a chainsaw, walked up to the Golden Spruce and fell the revered tree. This act left the entire local community stunned. There was outrage, threats, tears and Grant was arrested at first.Hadwin was given a court date to plead his defense on February 18th 1997 in Masset, British Columbia. There were rumors going around that he wouldn't live to see his hearing, that some people wanted him dead. Because of that, he told acquaintances that he didn't feel safe riding the ferry to Masset and he wanted to take his kayak. After he left Port Clements in his boat heading north up the inlet, he was never seen again. In June 1997, the wreckage of Hadwin's kayak was found on Mary Island, 70 miles northwest of Prince Rupert. Because Hadwin was known to be an expert in wilderness survival, some believe that he faked his own death and vanished into the wilderness. His ultimate fate is unknown.Grant Hadwin's case is still considered open, and people still have very strong feelings about what he did 20 years ago in one way or another. What do you guys think? Can we justify Grant's actions or is what he did worthy of punishment and hatred? Let me know what you think.
This whole adventure started when one man saw a stranger dumping boxes of wedding gowns, ball gowns, and bridesmaid dresses into a dumpster. He took the dresses and being a photographer, started taking incredible landscape shots with himself as the subject wearing these dresses. The pictures were a big hit and people started sharing them on Facebook, and buying prints of the shots. The Facebook page he made for his photography had a good number of followers, people liked this art, a dude in a wedding dress. He decided to use that base as a platform, seemingly out of nowhere thought to hike the Pacific Crest Trail and he told his followers, "I’ll do it in these wedding dresses." People loved it, they supported the trip and even donated some dresses for him to wear, in one case a $3,000 used Vera Wang. He set out with 26 dresses and planned to wear each one throughout the 2600 mile walk. This is the story of a man that goes by the name of Train.
When I first got my dog, a little Australian Shepherd/heeler that I named Lando, we took a road trip through washington and stopped at Alki Beach in Seattle. It’s one of my favorite places to visit. It’s the westernmost point in the West Seattle district, surrounded by the Puget Sound. Lando would tease himself with the shoreline of the Puget, slowly putting a paw in the water and then running as fast as he can 10 yards backwards. He kept on doing that over and over, until he crept slowly to the edge to test the water again when a small wave came in covering his whole body, drenching him and taking him for what I consider his first surfing trip, riding a little wave. He was a pretty timid pup so I was worried about how he would handle it, but once he got back to the shore though, he looked at me, as if he was checking in with me to see if he was okay…and then he dove right back into the next wave.I’ve told that story to a lot of people and it’s usually followed with one of their great memories that they created at Alki Beach as well. It’s a very special place. It’s also where the first recorded Pacific Northwest Christmas took place.
in 1963, over $160,000 worth of ore—easily half a million dollars in today’s currency—was stolen from under the nose of one of the largest mining companies in Canada in a massive Yukon silver heist. the the would lead to a costly year-long investigation by the rcmp, and a series of expensive trials of record-breaking length for the territory. This is the story of Gerald Priest and The Great Yukon Silver Ore Heist and the incredible woman who recorded it.
Natasha Geiling is a journalist for Think Progress and writes at @ngeiling. Her Smithsonian Magazine article for this story can be found here: Kaiser was a successful industrialist in the early 1900’s, he starting building shipyards on the Columbia right outside of Portland in 1941 when America became a part of World War 2. Because of the war, Kaiser had to build more ships, so he built more shipyards, and he needed workers for these shipyards so he offered big pay and recruited men from all over the country. Within a year, almost 100,000 men and their families had moved to Portland to work on these shipyards but there weren’t enough places for the new residents. So, Kaiser goes to the local housing authority and says, “hey, cities with booming industries all over the country are building public temporary housing for all the workers, we should have some in portland” But, The Housing authority didn’t like the idea of public housing mixing with private interests but moreover, it came down to race. The real estates code of ethics restricted african americans to a tiny little town called Albina. By 1940 1,100 of Portland’s 1,900 black residents lived in Albina. And that’s about all the city could hold, it was maybe 2 miles long and a mile wide, it couldn’t handle this many new workers. So Kaiser took matters into his own hands. He bought what could basically be referred to as a marsh right outside of city limits. It was physically disconnected from land in-between the Columbia Slough and the Columbia River. The land only stayed dry by building these 15-25 foot dikes all around the area. He called this new city, Vanport. Because it was between Vancouver and Portland. In about 100 days, Vanport had over 10,000 homes and apartments and at it’s peak, housed over 40,000 people.
The old staircase is called The Thousand Steps, even though there are only about 60. It gets that name apparently because it feels like it takes forever to walk up the stairs, as if there were a thousand of them. People have told stories of hearing voices, seeing shadows, feeling a presence or some spirit around them as they're walking up, as if trying to keep them from getting to the top, others have gotten to the top of the stairs only to notice bruises and cuts on their arms and legs. There's one story from 2004; a man claimed about halfway up the staircase he felt a sudden blow to his chest, knocking his down the stairs and sending him to hospital with several broken ribs.They say this staircase is haunted by the man who designed it. He was the first banker and second mayor of Spokane, Wa. His name is Anthony Cannon, once known as The Father of Spokane and he's buried at the top of that staircase. Here's some backstory before we get to the cemetery.Anthony Cannon came from Portland, Oregon with his friend JJ Browne. They showed up in style, riding into town on horseback in 1878 and starting buying alot of land, like...all of the land. Current day, residents are familiar with Cannon's addition and Browne's Addition respectively. But they owned much more than that. He started Spokane's first bank, was a real estate tycoon, started a newspaper, a sawmill, a cracker company, served on city council and eventually was elected mayor and had plans to build a railroad that was to be bigger than the Northern Pacific. But we'll get to that.3 months after moving to spokane, Anthony Cannon married a woman name Jennie Pease, a very social, popular woman in the community and they became a power couple in the area. They would throw incredible parties, they were both well liked and were living a dreamlike, lavish life. Anthony kept contributing to the growth of the city peaking with the construction of Spokane's Opera House. That's when things started to go downhill. And fast.The City of Spokane suffered an enormous fire in 1889 just 10 years after Cannon moved to the area. The fire destroyed many of his buildings, land and property, including the bank and the opera house. Anthony mortgaged off everything else he owned to help get him back on his feet and that could have worked except, four years later, a serious economic depression known as the Panic of 1893 hit hard. He turned the land he had for his attempt at the Northwest's largest railroad into a cemetery. Cannon lost everything. And I mean everything...later that same year Jennie died from an illness suffered after she underwent an undefined operation.Being seemingly overwhelmed and depressed, Cannon left for Helena, Montana and three weeks after losing his wife. He married again. This time to a much younger woman who he apparently had already had relations with. They tried to keep the marriage a secret so it wouldn't seem scandalous, but word got out and back to everyone in Spokane. People were shocked, disgusted and appalled. Many of his old business partners and friends made it clear that Anthony would not be welcome back to Spokane. He had been ostracized.He made a venture to South America to a small city and tried to have the same success he found in Spokane. After failing there, he just traveled around without much hope of regaining his status. He was in New York for a business meeting on April 6th 1895, that night he died in his hotel room. The autopsy didn't suspect foul play and he had been in poor health for years, but suicide wasn't ruled out. At 57 years old, he was alone, penniless and miserable. At the request of his family, his body was transported by a train via the Northern Pacific Railway to be buried at Cannon's cemetery, at the top of a large staircase.
When it comes to the mountains, Zach and Bryson know their stuff. As guides on Mt. Rainier and strong rock climbers, they've seen and experienced more than most. But late August 2012 on Mt. Stuart...
Sometimes it's the strange, unconventional people that have the most impact. This is the story of Amor De Cosmos. His accolades are impressive and has all of the qualifications to be considered one of Canada's Fathers of Confederation, but he's not. Here's why.On the show today, Anthony Wilson-Smith from Historica Canada.
Finn J.D. John tells us the story of the man who conducted the first and only wartime aircraft-dropped bombing on the continental United States in 1942.20 years later, this man would be brought back to the city he tried to destroy to become an honorary citizen. This is the story of Nobuo Fujita.
When you think about the history of The Pacific Northwest, you might think about the Lewis and Clark Expedition. This is the story of the only African American on the tour and his incredible impact to the exploration of the Northwest.
Three young sailors from Japan boarded a rice merchant ship for work in 1832. After being stranded at sea for over a year, they find themselves washed to shore on what is now Cape Flattery, Washington. This makes them the first Japanese people to step foot on the Pacific Northwest. But that's just the beginning. You can find pictures of the memorial at Fort Vancouver on the pnwcast website and instagram. / #pnwcast
This episode was a pleasure to make. Talking with Giuseppe was refreshing. His views and practices are nice to hear about. Plus, I just love old buses and free tea. So win-win.
My friend Steve is walking across the country with his goat and I think that's awesome. There are alot of people who do this but on today's show, I want to tell you about Steve, his goat and Helga. I think you'll like it.
Rate Podcast

Share This Podcast

Recommendation sent

Join Podchaser to...

  • Rate podcasts and episodes
  • Follow podcasts and creators
  • Create podcast and episode lists
  • & much more

Podcast Details

Created by
Podcast Status
Aug 1st, 2015
Latest Episode
Sep 7th, 2017
Release Period
2 per month
Avg. Episode Length
17 minutes

Podcast Tags

Do you host or manage this podcast?
Claim and edit this page to your liking.
Are we missing an episode or update?
Use this to check the RSS feed immediately.