The Canton Fair is an enormous trade show that takes place in China every spring and fall. It is the largest trade fair in China and is an excellent place for sourcing and finding suppliers to make your products. Listen in as Fred and Jeremy interview a special guest who is an expert on sourcing. Together they discuss strategies for communicating with suppliers and other tips for having a successful Canton Fair experience.
In This Episode
- 01:00 Jeremy's Boston adventures
- 05:08 Tortuga updates
- 07:02 Fred's Canton Fair plans
- 09:02 Canton Fair: The Basics
- 12:55 Communication struggles
- 15:33 Canton Fair logistics - where to stay, how to get in, etc.
- 18:40 What is a trading company?
- 22:00 Meet "Tim", an experienced sourcer
- 23:03 Tim's specific Canton Fair goals
- 26:27 Do your research beforehand!
- 29:38 Strategies to use when talking to suppliers
- 32:14 Strategies to avoid
- 39:31 How to stay in touch with Canton Fair contacts
- 43:27 Evaluating factories on Alibaba
- 46:22 Placing an order with Alibaba factories
- 52:29 Word to the Wise
People On This Episode
Links from This Episode
Word to the Wise
Win a $100 Tortuga Backpacks Gift Card
Every month we give away a $100 gift card to someone who subscribes to and reviews the podcast. Subscriptions, ratings, and reviews are helpful for getting the show ranked and discovered by other travelers. We appreciate your help spreading the word about Power Trip.
- Subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, or your podcatcher of choice with our RSS feed.
- Leave a review in iTunes.
- Fill out this form after you've done both for a chance to win a gift card.
Feedback and Questions
If you have any feedback about the show or questions for us to answer on the air, email: podcast at tortuga backpacks dotcom.