With excitement allow me to introduce to you today's guest Founder and CEO of the McNellie's Restaurant Group
Elliot Nelson went to the University of Notre Dame for college. During his junior year, he left South Bend to study abroad in Dublin, Ireland. While there, he fell in love with the atmosphere and unique hospitality that he experienced every time he walked into classic Dublin pubs.
Upon returning to Tulsa, Nelson made it his mission to recreate the Irish Pub feel in his hometown. He opened James E. McNellie’s Public House in March of 2004 in what had been a lonely and rather desolate corner of downtown Tulsa. 17 years later, McNellie’s and the area around it are thriving. Today the McNellies Group consist of 10 brands: McNellie’s Downtown
; McNellie’s South City
; El Guapo’s Downtown
; Howdy Burger
; Fassler Hall
; Dilly Diner
; The Tavern
; Dust Bowl Lanes & Lounge
; Elgin Park
Check out episode 778 with Rachel Cope
as mentioned in today's episode!
Calls to ACTION!!!
Favorite success quote or mantra:
In today's episode with Mike Bausch we will discuss:
- “If you're not impressive then by default you are unimpressive.”
- “The complacency of today is the direct enemy of tomorrow.”
- Start with the end in mind
- What makes Ireland's hospitality different from ours?
- Judging success by how long the guest stays in the building
- Social intelligence
- Opening blunders
- Opening an Irish bar on St. Patrick's Day
- Building a neighborhood around your restaurant/bar
- Smile and get the order right...that's it!
- Creating/sustaining culture
- People in this industry need vacations!
- Ghost kitchen/events centers
- Packaging for take-out
Today's sponsor: 7shifts
is a modern labor management platform, designed by restaurateurs, for restaurateurs. Effectively labor management is more important than ever to ensure profitability and restaurant success. Trusted by over 400,000 restaurant professionals, 7shifts gives you the tools you need to streamline labor operations, communicate with your team, and retain your talent. Best of all 7shifts integrates with the POS and Payroll systems you already use and trust (like Toast!
) turning labor into a competitive advantage for your business. Restaurant Unstoppable members get 3 months, absolutely free. Ecolab
: Streamline your clean with Ecolab’s new EPA-registered 2-in-1 solution, Sink & Surface Cleaner Sanitizer. It will help reduce risk, simplify your procedures and help ensure compliance. This solution cleans and sanitizes hard non-porous surfaces with a single product, eliminates the rinse step and equips your staff to clean more efficiently. Clean simplified, confidence delivered.
- Which “it factor” habit, trait, or characteristic you believe most contributes to your success?
- What is your biggest weakness?
- What's one question you ask or thing you look for during an interview?
- "Where do you get your news?"
- What's a current challenge? How are you dealing with it?
- COVID-19, retaining staff
- Share one code of conduct or behavior you teach your team.
- Treat everyone with respect
- What is one uncommon standard of service you teach your staff?
- What's one book we must read to become a better person or restaurant owner?
- What's one thing you feel restaurateurs don't know well enough or do often enough?
- Don't say thank you enough to staff
- Name one service you've hired.
- What's one piece of technology you've adopted within your restaurant walls and how has it influenced operations?
- If you got the news that you'd be leaving this world tomorrow and all memories of you, your work, and your restaurants would be lost with your departure with the exception of 3 pieces of wisdom you could leave behind for the good of humanity, what would they be?
- Be kind to eachother
- Guiness is like drinking a hug
- I hope my kids have a sense of adventure
Instagram: @elliotmcnellies www.mcnelliesgroup.com
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share
it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant U…
! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful
and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes
to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Elliot Nelson
for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!
Restaurant Unstoppable is a free podcast. One of the ways I'm able to make it free is by earning a commission when sharing certain products with you. I've made it a core value to only share tools, resources, and services my guest mentors have recommend, first. If you're finding value in my podcast, please use my links!