Lance Armstrong ex-teammate Tyler Hamilton (Rebroadcast)
This week we welcome one of the world’s leading experts on skill acquisition, perfecting technique and performing under pressure: Daniel Coyle.
Daniel is the author of The Talent Code, an absolutely indispensable book for coaches. He also knows quite a bit about the controversial world professional cycling, having written Lance Armstrong’s War, released in 2006 and The Secret Race, a brilliant expose about doping, co-written with Armstrong’s former teammate Tyler Hamilton, which was released last year. He also published the extremely practical Little Book of Talent, in 2012.
– The lightning strike of “ignition” when young performers get really motivated
– The power of highly specific envisioning of your future self as an elite athlete
– Parents need to figure out why their kid is participating in a sport; intrinsic motivation
– Crazy tennis and golf parents and the complicated entanglements with their kids
– Prioritizing learning over winning trophies in youth development
– “Shouty,” abusive coaches and the damage they do
There’s a wealth of information and a weekly articles on Daniel’s website: www.thetalentcode.com
Sports Coach Radio is hosted by Glenn Whitney
, a sports and leadership psychologist. You can subscribe to us on Apple iTunes and follow us on Twitter with the handle: @sportscoachtalk. And if you have a moment, we’d very much appreciate it if you could leave a short review on the Apple iTunes site. Your review will help other people find out about the show.