Do you want to know how to grow your network fast, especially if you want to take your career in a new direction, or to new heights? Think you have to get lucky to network, or be a natural extrovert?
Many people are under the impression that networking is only for chatty extroverts who love small talk and easily manage to meet tons of people. But that’s simply not true. If you’ve had trouble building your network or leveraging your network for professional growth and actual results, this episode is for you. In this episode of The Career Rx we’ll discuss:
- Myth-busting the top 8 networking misconceptions
- Exactly where and how to find the most useful potential connections
- How to grow the right network with a deliberate strategy instead of luck
Today I'm answering a question about networking. So my listener Jared writes and says, “I want to explore some different careers. But I don't have a network or any existing connections. And there haven't been any in person networking events recently, because of COVID. How can I get started?” So let's talk today about how to get started building a deliberate networking strategy.
By the end of this episode, you’ll have a step by step plan that doesn’t require you to be good at small talk or be particularly extroverted. You’ll have a clear understanding of what makes for a successful and optimized strategy and how simple some of these non-negotiable steps make for effective networking connections. In this Episode:
[1:12] Industry Insider
- learn exactly how to land a rewarding nonclinical career without a new degree, connections on the inside, prior experience, or a pay cut
[3:30] Getting clear objectives - what you want to learn and what you want to eventually land
[7:00] How to create a connections list and map - and what to do with it
[8:50] Don’t underestimate the power of LinkedIn to do heavy work for you
[11:20] How to understand the industry, leaders, and culture
[14:15] The balanced network - with the right level of influence on and interest in your career
[17:50] Plan, plan, plan for results.
Links and Resources: TransforMD
- a life changing retreat for women physicians who want more from their careers and their lives - it’s time, right now! Industry Insider
- learn exactly how to land a rewarding nonclinical career without a new degree, connections on the inside, prior experience, or a pay cut The Branding Rx
18 hours of CME, mastering digital strategies for advancing your career, building your business, and growing your professional brand