In this episode of The Functional Medicine Radio Show, Dr. Carri’s special guest Dr. David Jockers talks about his book: “SuperCharge Your Brain: The Complete Guide to Radically Improve Your Mood, Memory and Mindset.”
Dr. Jockers is a chiropractor, nutritionist, exercise physiologist, certified strength & conditioning specialist, and member of the Performance Enhancement Team for the Maximized Living Wellness Advisory Council where he had the privilege of traveling to London to help the USA athletes win the gold in 2012.
Main Questions Asked:
- How did you get interested in supercharging the brain?
- What is the brain fog epidemic?
- Isn’t poor memory just a normal part of aging?
- What is the worst brain destroying poison?
- What are the top three superfoods that can supercharge our brains?
- How does stress damage the brain?
- Is there any truth to “if you don’t use it you’ll lose it”?
Key Points made by Dr. Jockers:
- Brain fog includes declining memory, losing your keys, forgetting why you walked into a room, and just not feeling your best mentally.
- Brain fog is an early warning sign of brain degeneration. If not treated it can lead to Alzheimer’s, dementia, and Parkinson’s disease.
- Having a ‘senior moment’ is a warning of brain degeneration – it’s not considered normal aging.
- Find your big ‘why’ – why you want to be healthier and live longer.
- The worst brain destroying poison is gluten. Research proves it damages the gut and the brain.
- Avoiding wheat, barley, oats, kamut, spelt, rye, and other forms of gluten is important for brain health.
- Keeping your blood sugar stable with healthy fats (coconut oil, avocado, extra virgin olive oil, and butter from grass fed cows) can also keep your brain sharp.
- The top three superfoods for supercharging your brain are: Pacific or Alaskan sockeye salmon (wild caught – not farm raised); raw chocolate/cacao; organic blueberries.
- Superbrain smoothie recipe: blend together frozen organic blueberries, coconut milk, and high-quality protein powder.
- Too much stress will cause cortisol levels to elevate – this damages and shrinks the brain.
- Getting good sleep and positive self talk can help keep stress from harming you.
- “If you don’t use it you’ll lose it” is true for the brain. Your brain works on plasticity – it can rewire itself on a regular basis and needs to be stimulated on a regular basis.
- Learning new things can help strengthen your brain.
Documentary – The Brain That Changes Itself
Book – Supercharge Your Brain
Dr. Jocker’s website
Book – Reclaim Your Energy and Feel Normal Again
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe and leave a 5 star rating and review on iTunes!
The post How to Supercharge Your Brain with Dr. David Jocke…
appeared first on The Functional Medicine Radio Show With Dr. Carri