In this episode of #HighlySoughtAfter, I had a chat with a superstar in the insurance business, Nick Chan. Nick’s journey to become a financial advisor unexpectedly arose out of obligation and family responsibility, from previously pursing his dream career of sports reporting.
Nevertheless, Nick quickly climbed the ladder as a financial advisor, becoming the top agent in Hong Kong and being nominated for awards that others take years to achieve. This included Nick achieving seven-and-a-half MDRT’s in his first year! Because of his achievements, he was awarded the Distinguished Young Agent by Life Underwriter Association
(To give content, an average agent takes around 1-3 years to achieve an MDRT).
But what I enjoyed most about my conversation with Nick is hearing how he transformed his mindset as an agent as he found his why, purpose, and dedication to service his clients and differentiate himself from other agents. This podcast shares that rollercoaster journey and also the key insights he has gained that helped him to succeed.
So, if you’re in the business of selling, you have to listen to this episode. This year will be your best year ever because of the strategies and the mindset that he’s going to share with you in this episode.
Also listen out for Nick’s answers to the following questions:
- What were you doing before becoming a financial advisor? – 2:09
- After facing setbacks and resistance from your first 20 prospects, how did you feel when you closed your first client? – 10:42
- What advice do you have for those agents who are hustling right now who are being rejected? – 11:48
- How do you build the relationship with your prospective clients in the first meeting and show that you care about them? – 13:14
- You shared the power of sharing your why with your customers. For the financial agents who are listening, if their why is to make a lot of money, do you think this is something they can share? If so, how should they go about it? – 14:25
- Would you say you were lucky in your first year? And did you achieve success from one customer, or did you play the numbers game by reaching out to lots of people? – 17:57
- Why do you think you felt lost as you entered your second year? Was it a lack of reference points after doing well in first year? 23:21
- How did you feel when you found out you achieved the TOT? - 30:50
- How did your mum feel about your progress and your success? Did she speak to you about it? - 33:15
- You started your insurance career out of family responsibility. Today you’re doing it out of a personal mission. Could you share with us how you started finding joy in this business? – 35:15
- What advice would you give to new agents so they can see what you see, that they’re not just an agent but that it’s a lot more purposeful. How do they achieve that state? – 37:28
- How was 2020 for you with the pandemic? Did you do well? – 42:25
- In the world of insurance, you’re at the ceiling. But in my world, you’re just starting. What’s coming up for you in 2021? – 48:43
If you want to keep in touch with Nick, you can reach him on Instagram @justnickit_
Thank you for listening to this episode of #HighlySoughtAfter!
If you enjoyed this episode, please help me hit the ‘subscribe’ button if you’re listening on Apple Podcasts or hit the ‘follow’ button if you are listening on Spotify.
I would also love to hear your biggest takeaway from this episode! Here’s how: take a screenshot of you listening to #HighlySoughtAfter and tag me on Instagram. My handle is @ericgoesglobal. This way, I can personally thank you!