Have you ever thought about why your favorite music makes you feel so elated, while jackhammers on the street outside probably have the opposite effect? Did you know that sound vibration can not only change your consciousness, but that it can also heal your mind and body? It sounds like a bunch of woo woo nonsense right? Well, it turns out that there is a lot of empirical and anecdotal evidence to support this theory. There is also a massively exploding interest in sound therapy in the current yoga and meditation scene. Sound baths or sound 'experiences' are becoming ever more popular these days at retreats and workshops the world over.
Our guest Nate Martinez is a multi-faceted musician, who has not only made a living playing secular music with legends like The Grateful Dead's Bob Wier, but has also become a popular fixture on the New York new age circuit as a sound therapy practitioner.
Using a wide array of rare and strange musical instruments, bells, rattles, whistles, gongs, crystal bowls, and even his voice, Nate has become widely known for his ability to drop sound bath participants (including your faithful host) into the void of blissful stillness with his mind-blowing sound meditation sessions.
In this episode, Nate talks to us about the spiritual nature of noise, and how it can be used to soothe the nervous system, and even facilitate spiritual revelations and experiences. It turns out there is a lot more to music than meets the ear, and Nate Martinez is just the guest with which to explore this fascinating area of spiritual research and development.
Please do yourself, Nate, me, and a lucky friend a favor by sharing this episode with your favorite music lover.
To your ears,
For more about this episode
MY 90-DAY LIFESTYLE DESIGN COACHING PROGRAM Your opportunity to work with me one-on-one. Upgrade your life through my proven system of revolutionary mental, physical and emotional transformation. Only 5 spots available. Apply now for a 15-minute assessment call.
- What sound healing means
- Peer to peer musician chat, and his participation with Bob Weir
- What's the difference between sound baths/sound meditation and musical performances/concerts?
- How sound impacts every moment of our lives and how often we're manipulated by it?
- Why are we drawn to sound/music and why does it play such an important role in our lives
- How we listen and the intentions around structured, commercial music: exploring our individual dietary needs for sound
- How music affects memory recall, and the effects it has especially on Alzheimers patients
- Brainwaves, sound frequencies, binaural beats and the concept of brain entrainment
- The mystery and conspiracy of A440 tuning
- How sound influences and can shift our brainwaves and assist in achieving meditative states
- Some of the instrumentations used in sound bath
- How our subconscious memories of music influence our moods and emotions
- How we can incorporate sound therapy techniques and gain a better understanding of our environment to distinguish unhealthy sounds and learn to avoid them
- Finding ways to use sound as a tool for mindfulness
- Lifestyle recommendations
THIS SHOW IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY:
ORGANIFI. This product has changed the green juice game for me. A green powdered superfood that comes in portable packets perfect for travel, keeping in your car or bag. On-demand instant green juice that is alkalizing, energizing and gives you mental clarity. What else is so special about it? Zero glycemic index & comes with all 11 most important superfoods: turmeric, chlorella, wheat grass, spirulina, mint, moringa, ashwagandha, lemon, beets, coconut, matcha green tea. Awesome stuff! Save 20% using coupon code "LIFESTYLIST"
HEAL WITH HEAT. Infrared saunas provide essential health benefits such as: reduce inflammation, detox, burn calories, relaxation and getting you into a parasympathetic state. These units are the ONLY infrared sauna with no EMF or ELF exposure. And like no other, comes with 100% lifetime warranty! Call them up at 800-317-5070. Mention code "LUKE" for $450 off your order, free backrest and free shipping anywhere in the contiguous US!
HELP SUPPORT THIS SHOW!
Starting and growing a podcast requires a ton of time, energy, and money. Do you appreciate this information, and want to support my mission to deliver as much life enhancing information as possible to as many people as possible? The easiest, and most effective way you can help is to do this:
1. Go to Lukestorey.com/support and donate towards show production costs
2. Subscribe to the show by clicking “subscribe” in iTunes
3. Write us a review in iTunes
4. Share this show with 1 friend right now
You’d be amazed how much these four simple steps do to help us grow!
Here’s the magic link for reviews.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for listening, and joining me on this journey we call life.