044 - A Festivus for the Rest of Us
Questions or comments? Email me at email@example.com
or call (615) 567-3957
Is the holiday season a time of joy, or do you wish it could just all be over already?
You don't have to suffer through the holidays!
1. Set boundaries. You don't have to have Aunt Edna stay with you for two weeks over the holidays if she upsets you and/or your family. She can stay in a with other family, a hotel, or her own home.
2. Eat what makes you feel good. No, ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner isn't the best choice unless you've just gotten your tonsils out, but start enjoying your food.
3. Bring foods you can eat to events. Sure, gluten-free, dairy-free cookies taste different, but at least you'll have something on the buffet line.
4. Sit down with the people you love and discuss holiday expectations. This includes your kids. A ten minute conversation now can save hours of frustration on the big day.
5. Change things up! Just because your family has done something for 50 years doesn't mean you have to do it if you are uncomfortable.
6. Create family traditions. #5 doesn't mean you need to ditch everything you've ever done before. Keep the traditions that give you joy. Tweak traditions you kind of like to make them your own.
7. Do as much, OR AS LITTLE, as you like.
8. Take time for yourself. Don't have any extra time? Make some. You're a grown up, and you really can take time for you when you need it.
Create a new Holiday for yourself! Here's how we're doing that with Festivus:
- Only inviting our kids, keeping it small
- No cooking, we're ordering Chinese take-out
- We're creating family picture books that include a note from each person to have when we're apart
- We made t-shirts to commemorate the date
- We've talked to everyone to make see which parts of holidays they like so we're all comfortable, happy, and full of joy
- You can order your own Festivus shirt here: https://sickmomsguide.threadless.com
Are you creating joy this holiday season? Share how your doing it by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org
, or at any of the following -
You can find me:
Chronically Positive Moms Social Network: jenhardy.net/club
Chronically Positive Moms Group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/chronicallypositiv…
Thanks for listening! Subscribe on your favorite app and you'll never miss an episode. Have an iPhone? Just say, "Siri, subscribe to The Sick Mom's Guide Podcast," it's that easy.