Is your workplace "posi-vibes only!"? Are you reminded on a daily basis to "just choose happiness" or "be more grateful - other people have it worse than you?"
Although they seem harmless on the surface, these phrases are really dismissive attempts to ignore a person or situation. When taken too far, they can create a culture of toxic positivity.
In this episode, Ashley and Andrea talk about "toxic positivity" - what it means, where you find it, why it's especially harmful to people experiencing poor mental health, and what to do about it.
They share helpful tools to identify and address your real emotions, acknowledge struggle while maintaining progress, and one simple question to help your employees feel heard.
Resources and sources mentioned in the episode:
- The Gottman Institute Feeling Wheel;
- What is “toxic positivity” and how to avoid it in …, by Maddy Osman, November 5, 2019, Zestful Blog;
- ‘Toxic Positivity’ Is Real — and It’s a Big Proble…, by Simone M. Scully, July 22, 2020, Healthline;
- TOXIC POSITIVITY: THE DARK SIDE OF POSITIVE VIBES, by: Samara Quintero, LMFT, CHT and Jamie Long, PsyD, The Psychology Group
Buy the book, There's an Elephant in Your Office, on our website elephantinyouroffice.com
or on Amazon. Hire us to train your workforce on incorporating mental health into all kinds of businesses. Find us on social - Instagram @elephantinyouroffice; FB @ASJexplains
This episode is sponsored by
· Anchor: The easiest way to make a podcast. https://anchor.fm/app