Michael Ventura is the CEO and founder of Sub Rosa, a strategy and design firm that has worked with some of the world’s largest and most important organizations like Johnson & Johnson, Adobe, The TED Conference, Delta Airlines, and The Daily Show.
Michael's first book and the subject of our discussion today is Applied Empathy.
Empathy is a squishy word. Sometimes it’s confused with sympathy or misinterpreted as “being nice.” That isn’t empathy. Empathy is about understanding. Empathy lets us see the world from other points of view and helps us form insights that can lead us to new and better ways of thinking, being, and doing.
Michael and I are going to discuss:
- Why organization low in empathy are also slow at making decisions and face frequent miscommunications
- The many different ways to be empathic and understand others' perspectives
- The changes we can make in an organization to make empathy a habit
- And how to get people to give you honest feedback
Important Links for the Show:
- The ultimate fitness tracker that optimizes your life: https://www.whoop.com/ and use code DIANA at checkout for 15% off!
- A bank that prides itself on how it treats both it's employees and it's customers: http://nbkc.com/diana - get a box of awesome Professional AF stuff for signing up, including a book that we discuss on the show!
- Get a better nights sleep with the Purple mattress. To get the Purple pillow I covet for FREE with the purchase of your mattress, just text the code "DIANA" to 84-888. And you can combine this offer with what they have on the site!
- Get 1/2 of your daily fruits and vegetables in a convenient shot!: https://superfoodshot.co and use code DIANA at checkout for 30% off!
- Applied Empathy book we discussed: https://amzn.to/3a37nzP
- Michael Ventura online: https://appliedempathy.com/
- Professional AF Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/943925015810362/
- Diana online: www.DianaKander.com