Have you ever thought about putting everything you own into a moving van and taking a new job in a new city?
The typical American moves 11.7 times in a lifetime.
From across town to across the country, you’ll face common challenges with job hunting and settling in a new city.
This week on Find Your Dream Job, we talk about how to kickstart your career in a new city. Our guest is Terry St. Marie, who knows all about starting over. In the midst of a successful business career, Terry made the big jump from the the East Coast to the West Coast in 2011. He’ll share his best tips for building rebuilding a career--and a professional network--from scratch.
In this 41-minute episode you will learn:
- How to create a community after you move to a new place
- How to research new locations and opportunities to determine where you should move
- Networking tips for out-of-staters, from LinkedIn to email
- Why shared connections - from sports teams to donut preferences - can help build connections and strengthen relationships
- How a city’s culture affects the way you network
- How making an effort and putting yourself out there will help you secure an informational interview
This week’s guest:
Terry “Starbucker” St. Marie (Twitter
Terry “Starbucker” St. Marie is a writer, consultant, entrepreneur and startup investor living in Portland, Oregon. Before moving to the Rose City in 2010, he had a successful 23 year tenure as an executive in the cable television industry. Terry has extensive experience in business operations, customer care, strategy and financial management. For the past 10 years he has also published a popular blog featuring his “More Human” leadership philosophy, TerryStarbucker.com
, and was recently cited by Inc. Magazine as one of the “Top 100 Leadership and Management Experts”. He’s also the co-founder and publisher of the online media company focused on Oregon entrepreneurs, BuiltOregon.com
, which launched in December 2014. Terry is also an investor in the Oregon Angel Fund, and is on the boards of the Oregon Entrepreneurs Network, and Social Venture Partners Portland.
Listener question of the week:
- I’m moving to a new city for a job. Any tips on how to make sure my professional life doesn’t completely take over my personal life?
If you have a question you’d like us to answer on a future episode, please contact Jenna Forstrom, Mac’s List Community Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Resources from this week’s show:
If you have a job-hunting or career development resource you’d like to share, please contact Ben Forstag, Mac’s List Managing Director at email@example.com
Thank you for listening to Find Your Dream Job. If you like this show, please help us by rating and reviewing our podcast…
. We appreciate your support!
Opening and closing music for Find Your Dream Job provided by Freddy Trujillo, www.freddytrujillo.com