Welcome to Overdrive, a program that proudly gives you the alternative facts to all aspects of motoring and transport.
I’m David Brown
1. Toyota motor corporation Australia to deliver connected vehicles with KDDI Australia AND Telstra
2. Brand-new Mazda bt-50 achieves five-star ancap rating
3. Jaguar XE: updated with new connected technologies
4. Fred Racing at Bathurst
5. Nissan Duke – Dean comment – 50 anniversary
• When the Nissan Duke was first launched ten years ago, I struggled to like its outward design. It was a bit cartoonish. the latest model is more may stream. But our resident artist Dean Oliver has a different take – Viva la Difference – in our interview he explains why.he really liked the first one.
• A few quick comments on the three dual cab utes we took for a drive this week
• Mazda BT-50 was solid, bland in gun metal grey and lacked a few ute type refinements – good for ongoing reliability
• The Volkswagen Amarok was powerful and had Germanic efficiency but not quite the as much family comfort – good for towing
• The Ford Ranger – had a bright burnt orange paint job, good features, easy to use infotainment – small but quiet engine – best for the family
• For all the motoring talk about power and capability – we were taking some photos in the Hawksbury Show ground. A tough truck driver drove past, leant out the window and shouted - I will take the orange one
• And talking about trucks, for the last few weeks we have ranted against car infotainment systems that are not easy to understand and use. A colleague who has driven trucks for over 20 years said that he spent all his time in Kenworths, if he were to hop into another brand he would struggle, because of the different way the instruments are set out.
We mentioned in the news how our Fred Brian was racing at Bathurst in a 1969 Holden Monaro. We debrief with Fred on all the nuances of man handling a big, old car around the famous circuit.
You can find more information at Driven Media or previous programs are available as podcasts on
Our Facebook page OverdriveCity https://www.facebook.com/OverdriveCityDrivenMedia/?modal=admin_todo_tour
Our YouTube site https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKyx5sv6cgF4URRmNq2JiXg/videos
So, let’s start with the news
Originally broadcast 24 October 2020