Mikko is a tech start-up founder and CEO (now https://candle.to/
). He founded & is now board chair of Sentient Media
- an organisation dedicated to making the world a better place for all sentient beings through journalism.
Full show notes are here: https://sentientism.info/breeding-into-suffering-i…
In these Sentientist Conversations, we talk about the two most important questions: “what’s real?” & “what matters?”. Sentientism is "evidence, commitment & compassion for all sentient beings."
The video of our conversation is here on YouTube
- Growing up in a political family (father a Finnish Member of Parliament)
- Early experiences with animals on the family hobby farm
- Founding Sentient Media & how farmed animal perspectives are neglected in normal media
- Studying philosophy of social change at the LSE
- The default state Lutheran religion in Finland, including religious education
- Learning science, evolution, astronomy as a child
- Finding religions fascinating & getting perfect marks in religious classes (great stories!)
- Learning to read from Dungeons & Dragons manuals
- The relief of formally resigning from the church as a teenager (w/ cooling off period)
- Evidence & ethics as triggers for challenging religion
- Reading Nietzsche at 16
- Trying on different religions. What would it feel like to believe?
- Is picking a religion arbitrary, like picking a sports team?
- Being overwhelmed by the idea of solipsism at ~10 yrs old
- Morality as something fundamentally social
- Utilitarianism. Measurement, probability, individualism, rationalism as “western”?
- Sentientism’s neutrality re: moral systems
- Early utilitarians often did consider non-human sentience
- Utility grounded in sentience
- “My best friends, as a kid, were the sheep.” Making assumptions about sheeep. Then being accepted as part of the herd. Deepening understanding of “sheepness”
- And much more.
Sentientism is “Evidence, reason & compassion for all sentient beings.” More at sentientism.info
. Join our “wall
” using this simple form
Everyone interested, Sentientist or not, is welcome to join our groups. Our biggest is here on FaceBook
Thanks to Graham Bessellieu for his post-prod work on this video. Follow him at @cgbessellieu