Although Barnaby Andersun had lived the typical suburban lifestyle of house, mortgage and car for 18 years in Brisbane,Australia he always knew that with a portable business there was a less stressful option that would cost him less and allow him to travel the world on his own terms.
In 2012 he finally made the leap, taking his branding business with him. He started in Bali, before moving to Chiang Mai, back to Bali, on to Canada and New York before settling in over the last 6 months in Mexico. Barnaby sees himself as a citizen of the world and loves the freedom his lifestyle affords him.
He now runs an online business which employs over 50 web designers (all based in the Ukraine) and he’s currently doing it from a beachfront housesit overlooking the Carribbean in Xcalak Mexico .
To find out more about Barnaby check out his website at http://learntolivefree.com
What I learned from speaking with Barnaby Andersun
- Barnaby has given a lot of thought to his lifestyle and embraced it whole hog. He’s not just a temporary traveler with a travel blog – he’s turned his lifestyle into a serious business filled with adventure along the way. He’s mastered the art of cutting costs while maximizing income.
- Again Barnaby has emphasized how little it costs to live the location independent lifestyle. His current abode in Mexico costs him around $10 every couple of days for food, being a housesitting position everything else is largely paid for.
- It’s never been easier to make an online income than it is today. There are so many online resources that can make the average layperson into an internet expert. Even if you don’t want to make money online simply letting out a mortgage free house can be enough. One of Barnabys house-sharing friends has been traveling the world for a number of years just funded by $20000 in rental income from a place he owns. Maybe you could too.
- Try before you buy. Barnaby spent two months living out of a suitcase in Sydney to see how well he would handle it. He believes most people should try it in small steps as you never know what or where might appeal to you as a traveler.
- Earning an online income doesn’t have to be expensive to set up. Be prepared that the first thing you try might not work but as long as you don’t throw a lot of money at it nothing is lost. Try again until you find the niche that works best. Don’t forget you don’t need a lot of money to live like a king in many parts of the world.