Aminatou Sow is a United States-based businesswoman, digital strategist, writer podcast host and co-founder of Tech LadyMafia and co-hosts the podcast Call Your Girlfriend with her friend, the journalist and editor Ann Friedman.
It’s great when you coin a phrase that really resonates with people, right? Until they start using it for businesses and ventures that are at odds with the meaning of it… Aminatou Sow and Ann Friedman, hosts of the podcast Call Your Girlfriend and authors of the new book Big Friendship, talk about what their term Shine Theory really means and what they had to do to keep it that way.
Find out more about this episode at theallusionist.org/shinetheory.
The Allusionist is a proud member of Radiotopia from PRX, a collective of the finest independent podcasts. Find them all at radiotopia.fm. And - it’s Radiotopia’s annual survey! If you’ve got a moment to tell us your feelings about podcasts in general and ours more specifically, head to survey.prx.org/ALLUSIONIST. Your responses are anonymous and none the information you tell us is given to Evilcorp, but it IS is hugely useful for figuring out how to make our shows to your liking. Thanks in advance!
The Allusionist's online home is theallusionist.org. Stay in touch at twitter.com/allusionistshow, facebook.com/allusionistshow and instagram.com/allusionistshow.
This month, the Allusionist is sponsored by:
• BetterHelp online licensed professional counselling. Get started today at betterhelp.com/allusionist and receive a 10% discount off your first month with the discount code ALLUSIONIST.
• Bombas socks, thoughtfully engineered for comfort and durability - and for every pair of socks you buy, Bombas donates a pair to someone in need. Get twenty percent off your first purchase at Bombas.com/allusionist.
• Mejuri, ethically sourced fine jewelry for everyday wear, without the markups. Visit mejuri.com/allusionist for 10% off your first order.
• Catan, the fun collaborative boardgame where you settle, build and trade on the island of Catan. Allusionist listeners get 10% off the original base game Catan at catanshop.com/allusionist by using the promo code ALLUSIONIST at checkout.
• Molekule, air purification reinvented. For 10% off your first air purifier order, visit molekule.com and at checkout enter the code allusionist10.
• Squarespace, your one-stop shop for creating and running a good-looking and well-working website. Go to squarespace.com/allusion for a free trial, and use the code ALLUSION to get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
• Progressive. See your insurance options and start a quote online at progressive.com.
Authors, podcasters and longtime friends Ann Friedman and Aminatou Sow on friendship therapists, awkward spa weekends and why the word "bestie" just doesn't cut it.
You can watch the video of this live conversation here, thanks to our friends at The Greene Space. And don't miss the first conversation in this series, featuring writer Michael Arceneaux. You can watch it here or listen to it here.
To find out about the next conversation in our "Books We Love" series, and to get more recommendations from the Death, Sex & Money team, subscribe to our newsletter.
Aminatou Sow lived a good majority of her life with the notion that her period is just supposed to be "really really painful". From headaches to intense bleeding resulting in the need for blood transfusions! Until one day a gyno appointment left her with a diagnosis of endometrial cancer. We dive deep into the world of intense menstruation, uterus problems, and how race factors into care. Aminatou Sow is a United States-based businesswoman, digital strategist, writer, podcast host, and co-founder of Tech LadyMafia. She co-hosts the podcast Call Your Girlfriend with her friend, journalist and editor Ann Friedman.
Call Your Girlfriend co-host Aminatou Sow talks with Recode's Kara Swisher about upcoming book with Ann Friedman, Big Friendship: How We Keep Each Other Close. Sow discusses "how [she] got bamboozled into getting business-married” to Friedman, why they went to therapy together, and why talking about your friendships with your friends is so important. She also talks about why she refuses to hang out with friends on Zoom, the assumptions we all make about other people's friendships, and what you should do when you and a friend have opposing political views.Featuring:Aminatou Sow (@aminatou), co-author, Big Friendship: How We Keep Each Other CloseHost:Kara Swisher (@karaswisher), Recode co-founder and editor-at-largeMore to explore:On Reset, Arielle Duhaime-Ross explores why — and how — tech is changing everything.On Recode Media, Peter Kafka interviews business titans, journalists, comedians and podcasters about the collision of tech and media.On Pivot, Kara Swisher and Scott Galloway talk about the big tech news stories of the week, who's winning, who's failing, and what comes next.And on Land of the Giants, Jason Del Rey chronicled the rise of Amazon. Season 2 will focus on Netflix and is coming soon!About Recode by Vox:Recode by Vox helps you understand how tech is changing the world — and changing us.Follow Us:Newsletter: Recode DailyTwitter: @Recode and @voxdotcom Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices