In this episode, we discuss equally splitting the housework and childcare – why it’s important, why we don’t do it, and how to move towards a more equal home.
Francine M. Deutsch, Professor Emerita of Psychology, Mount Holyoke College, is the author of Halving it all: How equally shared parenting works (Harvard University Press, 1999) and co-editor of the recently released book, Creating equality at home: How 25 couples around the world share housework and childcare (Cambridge University Press, 2020). She received her Ph.D. at Columbia University, and has devoted her career to studying gender equality, primarily in the division of household labor, but also in numerous published articles on double standards between men and women, such as the double standard for smiling, for aging, and for praise and criticism. Her peer-reviewed articles have been published in Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Journal of Personality, Sex Roles, Psychology of Women Quarterly,Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Journal of Marriage and Family, Journal of Comparative Family Studies, Journal of Family Issues, Community, Work, and Family, and the Journal of Gender Issues.
In this episode, we discuss:
· Why creating equality at home is so important and how it can benefit both genders.
· Five common theories that drive how domestic labor is divided.
· Recent changes in the role of fathers and the expectations of fathers and mothers, both at work and at home.
· Why it is so difficult to create true equality and the barriers that keep inequality in place.
· How our family of origin can affect our views of how domestic labor should be divided.
· The importance of seeing value in housework.
· What couples are doing around the world to create true equality.
· How to move towards more equality in your own home.
You can find more about Francine here:
Mount Holyoke website
Buy her book - Creating Equality at Home: How 25 Couples around the World Share Housework and Childcare
SHOP CLEAN products with DISCOUNTS in my SHOP!
Please SUBSCRIBE, SHARE, RATE, and REVIEW the podcast!
Follow the podcast on Instagram @TheBetterYouPodcast or Facebook @TheBetterYouPodcast. And you can email the podcast at TheBetterYouPodcast@gmail.com
Follow me on all the socials: Instagram @kaciemain_writes, Facebook @kaciemain.write, or Twitter @kaciemain_write.
Find my book – I Gave Up Men for Lent, the story of a jaded, hopelessly romantic, health-conscious party girl’s search for meaning – on Amazon, Kindle, and Audible.
And for everything else you want to know about me, visit my website at www.kaciemain.com
Some links are Affiliate links.