AP 119 abroaders.com/funk
News and updates:
What’s up in Barcelona
Citi prestige to have better purchase travel protection:http://thepointsguy.com/2016/04/citi-changes-trave…
- Begins May 15
- Partial payment with prestige or thank you card now eligible for delay and cancellation coverage (previously needed to pay fully with those cards)
- Citi card and/or ThankYou points must be used to purchase at least a portion of the trip
- Covered travelers include you, family members (fiancee, domestic partner and their children, legal guardians, siblings, siblings-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, parents, parents-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, aunts, uncles, nieces or nephews) and travel companions on the trip
- Extended warranty coverage adds an additional 24 months on top of the manufacturer’s warranty
- Purchase protection has increased from 60 days to 90 days
- Citi Price Rewind benefit increases from $300 to $500 per item and a maximum of $2,500 per year
Delta Award Salehttp://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2016/04/15/d…
Book through 4/21!
Up to 4 biz class seats on some routes
Frequent Miler: Nice post on stacking savings and rewards when you buy a flight http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2016/04/18/b…
- There are ways to pay the same amount for a flight and get 2-3 different rewards for your purchase
Multicity Itinerary Pricing Evolves to Rip You Offhttp://thepointsguy.com/2016/04/avoid-multi-city-i…
Fuel Dumping Tool & Guidehttp://www.secretflying.com/2016/04/fuel-dumping-t…http://www.secretflying.com/fd/
Delta no longer charges phone booking fee ($25) http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/04/14/…
Sync up the due date of your credit cards bills!
Virgin American Added to SPGhttp://thepointsguy.com/2016/04/virgin-america-tra…
SPG Transfer TImes Summarieshttp://thepointsguy.com/2016/04/starpoint-transfer…
My fiance and I are getting married in Oct. We are planning to have a honey moon at an all inclusive type place, some where warm where they have unlimited red drinks with umbrellas. I'd love to sign up for a new card since the trip alone should easily knock out the minimum spend for a nice bonus. Wondering some opinions on what to get.
Here are a few things to consider:
-Would love to have my fiance sign up for the card rather than me, but her credit is less than stellar. She currently carries one card with no bonuses just for the sake of building credit. While my credit is pretty great I shouldn't have any problem getting any (personal) card I'd like.
- Currently carry the Chase Sapphire Preffered and Chase Freedom. I have approx 115,000 UR points currently. A few scattered elsewhere, but nothing notable.
- Ultimately we'd love to take a business class flight to Australia in 2017. For this I had planned on piling up UR points and transferring to United since they offer 80k business class each way (but I've still got a ways to go). However, using a new card and starting to pile elsewhere for a business class ticket to Europe isn't off the table and letting her sign up for a Chase or United card down the road when she can so she can help with UR points. I basically want to travel business/1st on my next long haul flight because I never have and I likely will never be able to afford it if paying for a cash. ticket.
MENTIONED IN THE INTERVIEWhttp://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/03/30/…www.pointspros.com
Loyalty Programs & Links: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/loyalty-pro…
General Tips & Tutorials: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/tips-tutori…
Iberia Avios: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/10/30/…
Using Alitalia Miles: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/11/20/…
And then we didn't talk about it, but for folks who have just quick redemption questions, or want to bounce something off the community, http://asklucky.onemileatatime.com/
is a great option. Ben and I both try to answer questions, and there are several other knowledgeable folks who participate as well.
And folks can find me on OMAAT, or tebfunk.com
if they want to connect on social.
Tiffany is a passionate traveler who splits her time between California and Italy (when she’s not traveling elsewhere!) Flying an average of 200,000 miles a year and spending over a hundred nights in hotels gives her hands-on experience and insights into managing life and travel. She loves leveraging miles and points to help her friends and family explore the world with her, and is obsessed with sharing that knowledge and excitement with others.
Her posts on One Mile At A Time offer a different perspective on earning miles, tricks for balancing multiple household accounts, and break down the basics of redeeming miles for aspirational travel — whatever those aspirations may be!
You can find Tiffany on instagram as tebfunk and reach her by email at email@example.com
Expert in Frequent flyer programs, rewards credit cards, and using points for big discounts on flights and hotels.
Runs points Pros
How did you get into points?
-What are your favorite places you've traveled?
-What do you do at OMAAT?
- How did you get that gig?
- What is your work / travel schedule like?
-What one hotel program and one airline program do you think have done the best all around job to earn and reward your business?
-What is your approach to elite status?
-What are your favorite premium cabin redemptions? (if any)
- Article on why biz class is better than first on the A321
- Mentioned space, privacy, ability to interact with friends
Checklist for planning a trip.
Award Availability - what are the best and worst?
What points do you currently think will be most valuable for travel in 2016-2017?
What currencies do you think are under utilized / undervalued (for example, I'd say Air France is one that can be much better than Delta and is rarely considered by folks with Amex or Citi points)
What do you do to stay up to date on news and developments in the points & miles world?
Do you have any resources that you use regularly. (for example tables of transfer partners, route maps, pricing calculators, card recommendation tools, credit tracking, points tracking, etc)
What advice do you have for folks getting started with the hobby?