E. Stephen Burnett
Good podcast? Give it some love!
Episodes of Fantastical Truth
79. How Do We Use Fantastic Fiction to Process Wars and Rumors of Wars?
2 days ago
When terrorists attacked and towers fell, how did Christians engage with nonfiction books and fantastical tales?
78. What If You Discovered Fairy Dust and Peter Pan Were Real? | The Heirs of Neverland series with Kara Swanson
9 days ago
Dust and Shadow author Kara Swanson shares the happy thoughts and nobledark struggles behind her Peter Pan retelling.
77. Creator, Evangelist, or Worshiper—What’s Our One Job When We Enjoy Stories? | Fiction’s Chief End, part 4
16 days ago
Before we speak of our writing, discerning, cleaning, or using fiction, we must know our assignment: to glorify God and enjoy him forever.
76. Why Did Secular Readers Try to Cancel A Christian Historical Romance Novel? | with Parker J. Cole
Christians must address romance fiction's tragic backstories when we respond to cancel campaigns with gospel grace and conviction.
75. What If Only Human Blood and Sacrifice Could Save Your Empire? | The Seventh Sun with Lani Forbes
We deconstruct faith and suffering in Lani Forbes's Mesoamerican fantasy novel The Seventh Sun, winner of three Realm Awards.
74. What If Christians Created Backstory for Noah’s Ark and Also Built the Actual Boat? | with Tim Chaffey
We're joined by Tim Chaffey of Answers in Genesis, one of the creative architects who helped build the Ark Encounter.
73. Does the Pentagon’s UFO Report Expose Unidentified Aerial Phenomena? | with Colin Samul
Colin Samul joins us to explore the Pentagon's June report, which could not explain over 140 aerial encounters with strange objects.
72. When Our World Groans Under Sin, Should Christians Support Space Flight?
God calls his people to comfort the afflicted, but also gave us his ancient command to explore the Earth and beyond.
71. Why Do Christian Fans and Authors Assemble at Realm Makers? | at Realm Makers 2021
At Realm Makers, we shared story joys with executive director Scott Minor, The Seventh Sun author Lani Forbes, and other fantastic creators.
70. Why Did A 1980s Televangelist Try to Cancel the RPG DragonRaid? | with James R. Hannibal
Suspense and fantasy novelist James R. Hannibal joins us to explore this true story of dice-rolling, discipleship, death, and rebirth.
69. How Can Faithful Stories Best Show Backslidden Heroes?
Realistic backsliders recover faith not by shallow isolated sentiment, but by serious biblical restoration to Christ's people.
68. Why Do Time Travelers Like to Romanticize the Past? | Come Back to Me with Jody Hedlund
Stories can help readers explore the past in new ways, often showing how history points to ultimate happy endings.
67. How Do Fantastic Stories Avoid Preachiness While Still Discipling Readers in Christ? | with L. G. McCary
Christian-made stories should not preach from on high at readers beyond the "fourth wall," but should help disciple our imaginations in Christ.
66. What If You Escaped Your Floating Island, But Returned to Face Rebellion? | Windward Shore with Sharon Hinck
Author Sharon Hinck joins us to explore grace versus legalism in her recently concluded fantasy trilogy, The Dancing Realms series.
65. Why Do Homeschool Families Love Christian-Made Fantastical Fiction?
At the traveling Realm Makers Bookstore, homeschool families love to find Christian-made fantastical fiction. What can they teach us?
64. Should Christians ‘Mask Up’ or ‘Get Vaccines’ to Prevent Fiction Infections?
Viruses, masks, and vaccines act out a parable for sin, the law, and grace, so let's not confuse secular symbols for religious realities.
63. Did God Create Aliens and Would Jesus Need to Save Them?
If God created life on other planets, would Scripture support these creatures being sentient, good, evil, or in need of redemption?
62. How Can Christian Fans Share Great Stories Without Becoming ‘Support Zombies’?
How can Christian fans avoid shuffling along with subculture herds, even while we share the Christian-made stories we enjoy?
61. How Does Edgier Science Fiction Challenge Christian Readers? | with Kerry Nietz
Christian-made sci-fi tends toward the softer side, leaving an opening for more complex futuristic tales that engage with controversial themes.
60. Why Don’t Real Researchers Heed Sci-Fi Warnings Against Mad Science?
Why do our scientists get so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they don't stop to hear secular fiction's dire forecasts?
59. How Can Christian Fans Respond to Preachy Secular Fiction?
When stories lose the plot and just want to give you a religious lecture, should Christians get mad or else gently scoff in amusement?
58. How Did We Enjoy the Heroic Majesty of ‘Zack Snyder’s Justice League’?
Sci-fi novelist Kerry Nietz and Lorehaven review chief Austin Gunderson join our heroic team to explore the long-awaited super-film Zack Snyder's Justice League.
57. How Do Stories Help Us Imagine Suffering and the Hope of Resurrection? | Epic Resurrection, part 4
We explore how the Gospel and similar reflections in fantastic stories help us prepare for times of suffering, death, and resurrection.
56. Which Biblical Qualities Empower Strong Female Characters? | with Elisabeth Wheatley
Physical combat is often the defining feature of strength, but female characters needn’t be boxed into stereotypes to be considered strong.
55. Should Christians Embrace Cultural and Digital Enclaves? | with Austin Gunderson
Christians fleeing cancel culture should consider becoming “Amish cyberpunks” and build cutting-edge digital enclaves.
Claim This Podcast
Do you host or manage this podcast?
Claim and edit this page to your liking.
Are we missing an episode or update?
Use this to check the RSS feed immediately.
Add a Podcast
Claim a Podcast
Terms & Conditions