The post This Is America #68: From Dekalb County to John Ho…
appeared first on It's Going Down
. Welcome, to This Is America, April 12th, 2019. In this episode, first we talk with the mother of one of the young men who organized the protest inside of Dekalb County Jail outside of At…
, and about the horrifying conditions they are fighting against. Thanks to the 9 new people who signed up today to become monthly supporters. We are now 48% of the way towards our goal. For the cost of a taco or a tall can, $2-5, you can help us continue into 2020. Stand behind so we can keep doing this work. https://t.co/0Hks1APK4A pic.twitter.com/K6fQ6Prdmh
— It's Going Down (@IGD_News) April 12, 2019
Next, we talk with two students who are involving in an ongoing sit-in at John Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, which currently is fighting several contracts to create a private police force and work with ICE. All this and more, but first, let’s get to the news!
Living and Fighting
- Thanks to a push back campaign, Washington prison officials are backing off from banning prisoners from receiving used books in the mail.
"I'll take "Joey Gibson" for $400." https://t.co/nSh5EbEImI
— It's Going Down (@IGD_News) April 11, 2019
- In Portland, Oregon, Alt-Lite fading star Joey Gibson on Wednesday announced he, along with his dwindling army of unwanted toys, would crash a meeting of the Libertarian Socialist Caucus, although never showed up. On social media someone posted, “They made a big deal about coming and then rolled up to campus with like six people and got laughed at.”
- Service workers across the University of California (UC) system went on strike, with students and community members showing solidarity. In Davis, California, UC strikers marched on the home of millionaire, Chancellor May.
We'll be back @Chancellor_May
, we'll keep coming back until UC workers get a fair contract! pic.twitter.com/cFMW3jR8C8
— Duane Wright (@DuaneWright2865) April 10, 2019
- In Arizona, demonstrations continued in support of the Arizona 3, students that are facing criminal charges for simply protesting the border patrol on campus. The protest which took place in mid-March drew viral anger from Right media, leading to cries for harsh punishment. Ironically, this all took place after Donald Trump signed an executive order about defending “free speech” on campus.
OUT OF THE BOARD ROOM & INTO THE STREETS! #Tucson
turns out for #TheArizona3 pic.twitter.com/L5eM1AgkPf
— No More Deaths (@NoMoreDeaths) April 11, 2019
- The son of a deputy in Louisiana has been arrested in connection to the burning of three historically Black churches. The suspect on social media stated that he was involved in the Asatru religion, which historically in the US has been heavily infiltrated by white nationalists and neo-Nazis. Other media outlets have pointed out that he may have also been inspired by white nationalist metal musicians like those depicted in the recent film, Lords of Chaos.
Arson suspect in #Louisana
wrote he was involved in the Asatru religion. For decades, white nationalists in the Asatru Folk Assembly (AFA) have attempted to build a white power wedge within paganism. Here's Identity Evropa's (now AIM) founder with AFA leader Steve McNallen. pic.twitter.com/MlUgEgnEeB
— It's Going Down (@IGD_News) April 11, 2019
- In Carbondale, Illinois, people have been protesting at city hall, demanding that the Mayor resign, after police purposely hid information about a domestic dispute at his home from the public. The Mayor, who opposed a recent plan to slash the police budget in half and use it towards social, job, and environmental programs, instead supports the police.
We are occupying City Hall until Mayor Mike Henry resigns. #carbondale
deserves better. If you wanna come hang out please do! pic.twitter.com/ZK0WvydBlJ
— Carbondale Spring (@CarbondaleSpri1) April 11, 2019
- In Columbus, Ohio, last Sunday people marched to the jail to demand the release of Masonique Saunders, who is now facing felony murder chargers after police shot and killed her boyfriend.
Noise demo is headed to the jail in Columbus where 17 year old Masonique Saunders is being held, facing felony murder charges after a Columbus police officer shot and killed her boyfriend Julius Tate in an alleged robbery. (@FreeMasonique
— Melissa Gira Grant (@melissagira) April 7, 2019
- In Minnesota, anti-Line 3 pipeline demonstrations continue, this time against Wells Fargo, one of the banks heavily investing in the project.
Dozens of Water Protectors in Minneapolis join the National Day of Action to demand that @WellsFargo #DefundClimateChange
and #StopLine3 pic.twitter.com/AEkKFr8EIi
— Resist Line 3 (@ResistLine3) April 10, 2019
- In Philly, actions took place against gentrification and banks supporting border infrastructure. As one communique read: “On the night of April 5th I sabotaged a Wells Fargo ATM using glue and a piece of credit card. Wells Fargo is part of the web of institutions and individuals that makes borders possible. Against borders and nations!”
- Appalachians Against Pipelines continues their historic tree-sit in Virginia, having now lasted 220 days.
Spring is in bloom on DAY 219 of the Yellow Finch tree sits defending some of the last remaining trees in the path of the Mountain Valley Pipeline. #nomvp #noacp #nopipelines #resist pic.twitter.com/dTVtfIaFK5
— Appalachians Against Pipelines (@stopthemvp) April 12, 2019
- Tenants in the Columbia Heights area have launched of rent strike in the face of rats, mold, and other horrible conditions.
A Columbia Heights rent strike highlights abuses low-income tenants face in DC https://t.co/7b2T2RDyKS
— Olympia Solidarity Network (@OlySolNet) April 10, 2019
- In Providence, New York, members of different chapters of the John Brown Gun Club teamed up to off supplies of food, water, and other items to those on the street. They were also joined by a medic, who was also able to provide aid. Another chapter in Missouri organized a Brake Light Clinic.
- Members of the antifascist and anti-Zionist Jewish group, If Not Now, were able to interrupt a speech give by Trump at a recent rally. They chanted, “Jews are here to say, the Occupation is a plague. Jews are here to say, white nationalism is a plague.”
BREAKING: 10 young American Jews just interrupted President Trump’s speech at the @RJC
! "Jews are here to say, the Occupation is a plague. Jews are here to say, white nationalism is a plague." Freedom and dignity for all! Press release and statement: https://t.co/aSBOlqUE3A pic.twitter.com/3vEGHRhbWq
— IfNotNow🔥 (@IfNotNowOrg) April 6, 2019
- In Portland, Oregon, people held a demonstration and march for Andrew Gladen, a blind man who had been killed by the police in Janissary.
— John (@Johnnthelefty) April 7, 2019
- Warrants were issued for protesters who recently took part in a demonstration at a border patrol museum along the border.
Whoever it was that posted images of migrant children who have died in Border Patrol custody around a "museum" [propaganda facility] celebrating the oppressive violence of the US Border Patrol, we consider them courageous heroes. Solidarity! #blockthewallhttps://t.co/h90wFfCMUL
— CrimethInc. (@crimethinc) April 7, 2019
- In Massachusetts, two protesters were arrested as people disrupted a meeting between Sheriffs and ICE officials.
BREAKING. Two people were just arrested after disrupting a meeting between ICE officials and Bristol County Sheriffs. #ShutDownICE #End287g #AbolishICE pic.twitter.com/FW6LXDYESd
— FANG (@FangCollective) April 10, 2019
That’s gonna do it for us this week, but first, some upcoming events!
- April 19th-21st: In Prescott, Arizona there is a three-day antifascist gathering called the Cliffrose Convergence at the Frantz Fanon Community Strategy Center being organized.
- April 28th: #AllOut to mobilize against white nationalist “Patriot” militia holding a rally in Long Beach. More info here.
- May 4th: All Out Against Pegida. Toronto, Saturday, 1pm. More info here.
- May 18th: Mobilize against American Renaissance conference. More info here.
- Sunday, May 25th: Mobilize against the KKK in Downtown Dayton, OH. More info here.
- May 18th – 19th: Come out to the Revolutionary Organizing Against Racism Conference (ROAR) in the bay area. More info here.
- June 14th-17th: Fight Toxic Prisons conference. Gainesville, Florida. More info here.
- June 19th: Mobilize against Nationalist Solutions conference. More info here.
- August 3rd-11th: Institute for Advanced Trouble Making in Worcester, MA. More info here.
- August 16th-18th: Indigenous Anarchist Convergence in so-called Flagstaff, Arizona. More info here.