Picture Methods Episode 2 Show Notes
The original Derrick Story from The Digital Story
is my special guest. Derrick and I go way back to the days of the Apple Aperture launch at MacWorld. He and I will break down something that will be interesting for mirrorless fans. I’ll have news, photography insights, our monthly Q&A, and more.
Show always available on my blog at picturemethods.com
and already has over 60 posts. Each week I’ll publish 3 to 4 posts with photography news, reviews, inspiration and insights. Visit regularly, subscribe for site updates via email at: picturemethods.com
by clicking the Follow button on the bottom right of any page and signing up through WordPress (I promise to never spam you) or through your favorite RSS feed. Subscribers to the site will be the first to learn of upcoming contests and automatically eligible to win prizes. Last month I gave away a $50 B&H gift card and an Oben Gimbal Head
- • Lens News today, that’s the focus
- • The Micro Four Thirds consortium has updated the complete list of compatible lenses, more info and link here.
- • Fuji announced the XF 16mm f2.8 lens. Smaller and lighter than the XF16mm f1.4.
- • Fuji also announced the GF 100-200mm f5.6 LM OIS WR tele-zoom lens.
- • Panasonic announced 3 new lenses, the S PRO 50mm f1.4, the S 24-105mm f4 Macro O.I.S., and the S PRO 70-200 f4 O.I.S. lens for the new S1 cameras and new L mount. More info here:
- • Canon announced 6 new RF Mount lenses in 2019:
- • RF 85mm F1.2 L USM
- • RF 85mm F1.2 L USM DS
- • RF 24-70mm F2.8 L IS USM
- • RF 15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM
- • RF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM (super compact!)
- • RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
- • Leica announced a fast new wide-angle prime, APO-Summicron-SL 35mm f/2 ASPH.
- • Samyang announced two new RF lenses, 14mm f/2.8 & 85mm f/1.4.
- • Through a new alliance with Leica, Sigma, and Panasonic, Sigma is bringing 11 ART lenses to Leica L-mount and a new Canon EF to L mount and Sigma SA to L converter.
- • If you have news or product announcements to share, send an email to: [email protected]
Each month, I’ll share an insight that will help you become a better photographer. This month, I talk about lenses this month and why lenses are better than the photographers. I often receive questions about lenses and issues with focus, so I’ll discuss that it’s the lens that is fine, but the technique that needs work. I’ll share some tips that will help. Summary: Read the manual and learn your lens; Use your lens hood; Hold the lens in a stabilized position; Image Stabilization in lens, use it; Aperture, use the sweet spot for your lens, usually F/5.6 to F/8. Practice, daily if possible. Do you have an insight you’d like me to discuss, email: [email protected]
Derrick Story of The Digital Story
joins me to discuss Olympus and their new flagship camera, the OM-D E-M1X, what went into making the camera, its support of computational photography, the audience of the E-M1X, and how the technology in the E-M1X will benefit all of us in the future.
- • Edward Bartell wants to know about ‘effective’ use of social media. I briefly opine on how I effectively use social media, and will cover this in-depth on an upcoming podcast. Briefly, I use Twitter, Flickr, and Facebook to share my work.
- • Arnold Elliot asks about why some photographers use monopods and others use tripods. I talk about access as well as portability vs stability.
- • If you want to have your question answered in a future episode, email: [email protected]
Words of Encouragement: I talk about how gear isn’t the answer to making you a better photographer. Great photographers are great in spite of their gear.
I’m excited to announce that I’m back teaching workshops, check PictureMethods.com
for upcoming tours and workshops.
Links from the show:
Micro Four Thirds Lens Consortium Update
The Digital Story
The Digital Story’s review of the Olympus OM-D E-M1X
Panasonic Lumix S PRO 50mm f1.4 lens B&H: https://bhpho.to/2InALHr
Panasonic Lumix S 24-105mm f4 Macro O.I.S. lens B&H: https://bhpho.to/2IqOopm
Panasonic Lumix S PRO 70-200mm f4 O.I.S. lens B&H: https://bhpho.to/2Ip0FdG
Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe via Stitcher
Subscribe via TuneIn
Subscribe via Google Play Music
See the sidebar for various podcast ecosystems. If you don’t see your favorite, you can subscribe using the RSS feed
Picture Methods has partnered with B&H Photo & Video
to bring you the best gear selection and prices. Check for the best camera deals here