Recorded 17th January 2021
This week there was a virtual CES, somewhat reduced in size but still with its array of prototypes, new products and as ever a few oddities. Apple announced what it is actually doing with its REJI and is apparently going to extend free Apple TV+ again. Also today we are joined by Jasper Hauser of Darkroom photo and video editor for Mac and iOS (the winner of an Apple Design Award in 2020).
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishman’s Working From Home book is completely FREE and can be downloaded here and now he has also released Take Control of Zoom Essentials free as well.
- Steve at Geeks Corner has restarted his podcast which is a 5-15 min show of his thoughts on tech. Also keep an eye on his site or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk to watch for regular giveaways.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link
to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular - if you're interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr
and request an invitation.
On this week's show
- M1 Mac Bluetooth problems finally set to be resolved, says Apple – 9to5Mac
- Apple begins blocking M1 Mac users from side loading iPhone and iPad applications – 9to5Mac
- Apple Launches New Nationwide Racial Equity and Justice Initiative Projects – Mac Rumors
- Apple suspends Parler from App Store – CNN
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Says Parler Can Return to App Store If It Ups Moderation – Newsweek
- Apple is extending Apple TV+ trials again — TechCrunch
TECHNOLOGY / CES
- The LG Rollable phone with expandable display is real, and coming in 2021 – CNet
- LG's transparent TV concept rolls up from foot of bed – Mashable UK
- The best foldables (and rollables) of CES 2021 – Digital Trends
- Masks, sanitizers, and social distancing gadgets: The COVID tech that dominated CES 2021 – Mashable
- Accessibility devices at CES 2021 reflect growing focus on inclusive tech – CNet
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Google Analytics opt out browser extension – Google
- Available for Microsoft Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari and Opera.
- Son from Simple Login replied to my suggestion of a Menubar App – go upvote it if you would like to see this (you have to register to vote)
- Johns Hopkins security researchers 'shocked' at Android and iOS vulnerabilities – 9to5Mac
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Fonts: Install New Fonts – App Shopper
- Bufferi.ng: Create lag and buffering on video chats like Zoom, Skype and Microsoft teams
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- SmartDot radiation-protection phone stickers 'have no effect' — BBC News
- “They are supposed to use “scalar energy” (aka Undetectable Magic Powers) - brought to you by the same loons who will sell you a Faraday cage for your router… “ – Simon
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services... We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login – Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – Disposable email addresses
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter... You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE... what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn't have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
Support The Essential Apple Podcast by donating to their Tip Jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/essential-apple-show
This podcast is powered by Pinecast