Welcome back! Today, we're talking about the basics of the bar exam. This episode might send shudders down your spine if you're a 3L looking to take the bar exam next summer, or perhaps you're thinking, "Hey, I'm a 1L. Why should I be worrying about this so early?"
Well, the reality is the bar exam is a pretty big deal and is one of the final hurdles to becoming a lawyer. So whether you're taking the next bar exam or taking it a few years from now, you need to understand the basics, to ensure you prepare effectively and only have to take it once!
(We're pleased to announce our episodes now contain a transcript, which you'll find below. Enjoy!)
In this episode we discuss:
- Bar exam basics, especially California and the UBE states
- What the UBE consists of (MPT, MBE, MEE)
- What the performance test covers and how to prepare
- What to expect on the MBE and how to prepare
- Being strategic and matching your bar exam planning to your career objectives
- Questions to ask yourself as you decide which bar exam to take
- The changes coming to the California bar exam
- Should you wait to take the CA bar exam?
- Will CA be harder or easier after the changes?
- Planning ahead for the bar exam as a 1L and 2L
- Other state bar exams you may encounter
- Choosing the right bar review provider and whether you need to buy immediately as a law student
- What are accommodations and how can you get them for the bar exam?
- Should you take bar electives in law school?
- The future of the bar exam
Episode Transcript: Download a copy of the transcript
If you enjoy the podcast, we'd love a nice review and/or rating on iTunes
. And feel free to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website
Thanks for listening! Good luck on the bar exam.
Alison & Lee